Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Video Exposure failure lol

I'm thankfully doing fairly well in terms of emet, when I'm not nauseated. I was doing great with video exposure; doing well to even further discern anxiety vs nausea (which, as I figured, I pretty much knew the difference of). I was happy that I wasn't getting anxious watching the videos, but of course, there are certain videos that cause more issues than others. The worse the person reacts to the act, the worse I react. I end up telling myself "I won't let that happen to me anymore" and other similar, annoying thoughts. One of the videos I've watched, had the woman crying, dry heaving greatly and having her own mini panic attack. It made me no longer want to try video exposure therapy lol. Reminded me of past events with this illness, even if the last few times I've grown sick wasn't nearly like that. Sorry if the post is poorly articulated; I just finished said video.

Has anybody had luck with exposure therapy? (video, specifically)
    PS: Yes, I'm being guided during these sessions.

Default Re: Video Exposure failure lol

Hi!,

I also tried exposure to watch v* videos, but without help. Its a very brave thing to do, but try not to push yourself too far. For me, It depends on how graphic it is, its the sound that makes it the worst! Yick!

Sometimes you need to watch it a few times, so you become desensitized to it. Of course, there are WORSE videos out there. Like for the one you mentioned above, the best thing I suggest is to mute the sound at first, so on and so forth.

And I'm very happy that your doing well! Dont let this one sway you off course, you are doing great! You will get there eventually, it just takes time and dedication.
    Keep the spirits up!

That's great that you're doing so well. That video does sound like it could be upsetting, but I think it's great that you're having some success with video exposure therapy overall and that was just a little set back.

I've recognized recently that while I'm afraid of myself being sick, other people v* is much more traumatic to me for some reason. I'm not in the financial situation to be able to pay for therapy this year but I am definitely interested in exposure therapy. I've been trying to ease myself into it by not turning my head when I'm watching TV and movies with v* scenes. I haven't seen anything extremely graphic yet but so far I do feel like I'm doing better with what I've seen. In the past, if I recognized the signs that someone was about to be sick I would automatically look away until I was sure it was over. Last week I had the TV on in the background when I was at home and heard the sound of someone v* and actually got a little excited and looked toward the TV really quick because I wanted to expose myself and not be afraid anymore. (In the scene the person was v* into a bag so nothing was shown but I still saw it as a victory because I voluntarily looked for it.)

I wish you the best of luck with your continued exposure therapy! I believe there is great value in it.

Thank you for your responses! A friend helped me manage the video again today, except with greater results... much greater haha! I don't think there can be much more videos that are worse and/or more graphic (outside of... philiac videos in which, no) but I won't jinx myself haha!

It started really simple, with some hilariously cartoonish pictures and videos (she didn't add sound until at least the second week, thankfully, since sound triggers me more than sight). They wouldn't push you further than you can take it, contrary to my post. Hopefully you guys can find time/funds to get through!

I have my own exposure therapy at work because I'm a nurse :/ I relate to your post because like you say that one video really made you say, "I'm done", some people v* makes me do the same.
    I work in a hip/knee replacement surgery unit so the v* is not contagious (SIDE NOTE: I don't want anyone to be afraid of anesthesia from reading this! There's a lot of factors at play here! Including that a majority of my patients are elderly and can be more sensitive).
    I try to push myself to get over the whole thing and reduce my fear (at least on the part of others v*). Sometimes I can hear it and be in the room, and some people I leave the room and give myself a few minutes lol. I feel like one step forward, two steps back sometimes.

Exposure is one of those funny things where sometimes it's great, and can work wonderfully, but other times (and sometimes it can be the very next day) the exposure goes horribly wrong and you feel like you've taken a huge step back. If you feel like it's something worth doing, then keep at it. if you are feeling like it's not the right thing for you, move on, find something else Well done for trying something though, you should feel really proud that you got that far
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm trying video exposure too. It sounds like you're doing great, do you think it is helping you?
    I started the other week by googling images of v.
    Tonight I have googled videos of v, specifically ipecac and milk challenges! Maybe throwing myself in at the deep end, lol!
    I found it amazing even though I had the volume off and knew its just on a screen I could feel the physical effects of the anxiety waiting to see it!
    I tried to calm down with slow breathing which seemed to help. My next target is to some time this week watch a video (maybe less graphic) with the sound on. I hate the sound too, I think it makes it much more distressing.

All you can do is take it slooooowly. Exposure should be challenging and anxiety provoking but not distressing to the point of panic attacks. I started the exposure - words, cartoons, pictures,videos and all that. Got stuck on pictures though.

You should watch videos of the milk challenge. Often the people participating seem to be actually ENJOYING the vomit; they vomit, then laugh, then do a thumbs up for the camera.

At one of my jobs we sell this silly jelly bean game called "Beanboozled" where they are jelly-belly type jelly beans of different varieties. The game is the variety of flavors have other horrible flavors mixed in that look exactly the same. (Yes, sadly one of the bad flavors is "vomit") I hear all the time how parents buy the game and record their kids and friends playing and throwing up like its so much fun. I'm pretty recovered from emetophobia and I'm sorry, that still sounds horrible lol

Quote Originally Posted by JadeNight View Post
    At one of my jobs we sell this silly jelly bean game called "Beanboozled" where they are jelly-belly type jelly beans of different varieties. The game is the variety of flavors have other horrible flavors mixed in that look exactly the same. (Yes, sadly one of the bad flavors is "vomit") I hear all the time how parents buy the game and record their kids and friends playing and throwing up like its so much fun. I'm pretty recovered from emetophobia and I'm sorry, that still sounds horrible lol
    That does sound terrible haha. I don't think I will ever reach the point of enjoying/being entertained by someone else v*. I have friends who, on spinning tea cup type rides will try to spine extra fast if they know someone is prone to motion sickness because they think it would be funny to make the person v* (even though they're on the ride together!) Totally doesn't seem normal to me lol.

I'm glad to hear of everyone's success stories with exposure therapy. I'm hoping to begin it myself soon!