Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Side effects of anti-depressants

Hello everyone, five days ago I started Sertraline (or Zoloft as it is sometimes referred to). I'm on it for anxiety. I have felt strange on them since, ranging from spaced out/high, to more anxious than usual. My stomach has been off, and I have had heartburn. Tonight I have got nausea. It's a weird sort of nausea, the sort you get antibiotics. Has anyone experienced nausea with anti-depressants and what did you do? I really hope I don't actually v*.

Default Re: Side effects of anti-depressants

I started the same thing recently and they are making me feel so spaced out, tired and terrible headaches. I'm not focusing at work at all and I even scare myself driving actually. I'm usually bundle of energy and I feel like I have none. Idk how people get through the start-up of these kinds of drugs and go about their job/life. I'm really hating how I feel on these.
    I do feel some nausea but nothing major yet. I took some pepto along with it and that seems to help, plus I take it at night so I can try to sleep through most of it. My nausea will randomly come and go, but I've never felt like I was close to being sick. My anxiety nausea is way worse most the time than this feeling.
    I'd try some pepto, it'll probably help with the upset stomach symptoms. It does for me
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

Can you talk about how it's making you feel even worse with your doctor? I guess I was pretty lucky to never go through that when starting a new pill, I can't imagine it making you feel even more anxious when it's supposed to be helping with that exact thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The knowledge that you one day will conquer this fear, it fills you with determination.

i take zoloft for anxiety too, 150mg daily. it takes quite a while to kick in, so if you're still experiencing anxiety, that's why -- and that could be part of the reason you're feeling n*. either way, if you're feeling drowsy or out of it i'd talk to your doctor. antidepressants can have a wide range of side effects depending on what you're taking and how much you're taking but i've never heard of anyone actually v*ing from them so you should be alright, especially since a few days have already passed.

you will be ok! just talk to your doctor and let them know what you've been feeling. sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right antidepressant. i hope you feel better soon!

kb212 Guest

When I first started meds I started with prozac because that's what works for my mother. Turns out it does not work for me and gave me a lot of nausea. My doctor then recommended lexapro. I've been on that for a few weeks now with no problems. I asked about Zoloft and the doctor said thats the med she most often hears n and d as a side effect. So given my phobia she didn't think that was a good idea and I agree! Anyway, it's totally normal and I did not v from the n. I would talk to your doc and maybe try something new. It's a matter of finding the right one. But I have heard he side effects only last a few weeks while your body adjusts, it's not a forever thing in most cases.

Thanks guys - the side effects are quite bad - I am now getting d*, constipation, low mood... I spend a lot of time feeling like a zombie! Pepto is helping. It's been less than a week so I'm going to try a few more days and if not go back to the doctor. Gosh that's interesting Zoloft gets a lot of complaints, I worry sometimes it's all in my head!

Upset stomach is a pretty common side effect of Zoloft, but actual v* is pretty rare. The first couple of weeks are rough with side effects, but they do go away. However, if you do feel an extreme increase in energy and a high feeling like you can do anything, talk to your doctor for sure! Not to scare you, but antidepressants can sometimes, rarely, cause mania as a side effect.

Hope it all works out! I started on Zoloft about 6 weeks ago and it's already reduced my anxiety sooooo much!