Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default The feeling of about to vomit during a high stress moment

This has happened to me now 3 times in the last 6 months or so, but the last 2 times have been in the past week and more intense. I'm not sure if it's anxiety/stress or what but it's worrying me. Out of the blue I'll feel my heart rate jump up (sometimes I get those heart flutters with it) and I feel a touch of nausea and then my mouth will start to water like your about to vomit but then I talk myself out of it and I calm down and go on like nothing happened. Today it happened during a heated conversation with my husband over text messaging. We were not fighting but having an intense talk that brought on stress for me and it happened. Last week it happened while I was driving and I was thinking about something that was currently stressing me out and it happened. Is this anxiety or something else? I've had anxiety for YEARS (I'm 30) and I don't recall this happening to me.

Default Re: The feeling of about to vomit during a high stress moment

yup I've had this every day for the last two weeks. a full "I'm about to v" physical feeling that's not anxiety. it sucks so bad.

Ugh! I've had anxiety n* before but this is a whole new level for me. I get to the point my mouth waters and I paniac.

the other night it was so bad that I cleaned the toilet (it was dirty) in anticipation!!

Ugh? Im sorry your dealing with this anxiety symptom as well. were you having anxiety when it happened?

I have been having a similar feeling!!! These past two weeks only though, it's terrible. EVERY NIGHT I just don't know what to do.
    Call me Koi or Koiz
    I use my phone for this site 65% of the time so if I do not respond on chat, I am not ignoring you!!!

I can definitely relate to the heart flutters, as I get them when I am anxious AND have had caffeine. Rarely do I get the flutters with anxiety alone. I finally broke my addiction to caffeine and now I am fine. I used to have panic attacks with n* like you are describing. They truly are scary. Sounds like you are just experiencing anxiety and possibly borderline panic. As we get older (you said you have never experienced these symptoms), our bodies change; so do our habits and lifestyles. Not to mention our damn hormones. Those do cause some more intense emotions in our cycles as we age. Fun huh?

This has been happening to me too lately. It's why I have been so active on the forum. I thought it was period-related n* and/or IBS. It's still happening, though not as often, and not as severe. For me, I guess it's just stress that's been piling on. Out of the blue, I will get a full-blown panic attack with pretty significant n* which further drives the panic attack. It SUCKS! Sorry I don't really have advice! Just know you are not alone feeling this way. Journaling helped me organize my thoughts a bit. For a while, I wasn't even acknowledging the things that were stressing me out. Once I did, I could make a plan on how to deal with each stressor.

this has happened to me before, to the point where i've actually dry heaved. it's not fun! if it helps, salivation is also a symptom of anxiety, as well as the n* and heart fluttering. i experience all of these things as well. what i've noticed is it gets worse when i automatically assume i'm going to v* -- if i take a deep breath and tell myself it's just a feeling that will pass then i end up being fine.

it sounds a lot like stress has something to do with it. i know how that feels. it's awful!

Thank you for the replies! Glad I'm not alone but sorry you all deal with it too. First thing this morning when I got up I was over whelmed with n* if faded within a few minutes of being up but ugh! At least this time o didn't get to the point of about to v*

All the time! I hate it! But as I've gotten older and it's never lead to vomiting, I don't freak out anymore. I know it's just the emotions of whatever situation I'm in and it goes away. I had it REALLY bad a few months ago when I had to take my favorite cat in to be put down. I was sure I was going to throw up all over him, my boyfriend and the nurse. My B/F cheered me up but reminding me that if I was going to break my streak (22 years), might as well be then during something awful, so it wasn't ruining a good day. lol. I didn't v.
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ

That happens to be sometimes too.. Not very often but when it does its awful!! Last time it was really bad I actually did gag twice... idk what in the hell caused it but it was awful.
    Even if we're breaking down, we can find a way to break through
    Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
    Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you
    --- Rachel Platten "Stand By You" ♥