Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Car sickness

Question Car sickness

Post has been deleted
    Last edited by Gemmaaa94; 05-17-2021 at 03:53 PM.

Default Re: Car sickness

Did you take the motion sickness tablets far enough in advance? I think you're supposed to take them about an hour before you're exposed to whatever may make you sick. I've also heard good things about Sea Bands but haven't used them myself so can't say much about that.

What about having some sort of non-motion sickness anti-n* or anti-emetic medication. Something like Zofran if you have access to it or other over the counter varieties (such as Emetrol?) That wouldn't stop motion sickness I don't think but may stop the n*/v*.

My only other thought would be to bring some headphones with music, close your eyes and sleep if you can but if you're unable to sleep at least try to keep your eyes closed ... I think taking away that visual stimulus may help reduce or eliminate motion sickness.

Or would the driver/others you're traveling with be willing to give you a break after a certain length of time - even just to pull over to the side of the road so you can get out and walk for a minute or so. When my youngest sister was small she would sometimes get car sick but as long as we stopped and let her put her feet on the ground for a few moments she wouldn't v* and we could go on driving.

yesterday I was in the car going down a mountain on a winding road, and i was told to look out the front window to the horizon. supposed to help and give your brain something to focus on since motion sickness is caused by your brain and ears being all wacked out. I also have never used seabands but I have also heard good things about them. may be worth trying.
    Even if we're breaking down, we can find a way to break through
    Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
    Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you
    --- Rachel Platten "Stand By You" ♥

Idk how old you are, but can you drive? I know sometimes I get a little car sick but never when I'm the one driving. If so you could take some non-drowsy motion sickness pills and also drive it might be a lot easier on you.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

Okay so I haven't ACTUALLY taken them or had motion sickness but out here people go offshore fishing and going into the ocean is much rougher than riding boats around inlets, etc. Many people get motion sickness who don't normally, so I have looked into anti-motion sickness meds and stuff and something I read is that if you want to take dramamine or something, start taking it 24 hours in advance. I know that sounds crazy-- but it read it on SOO many websites for professional fishing charters. This ensures that it is in your system and your system is adjusted to it.

I agree with everyone saying you should try to drive-- I have to either be driving or sleeping... OR have control of the radio and snacks and make everyone dance and sing with me as a distraction!!!