Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hiya everyone,

I hope u r all well i havent been to the site in a long while. This is very off topic but it is causing me alot of anxiety and scares me alot. For the past year on and off I have frequently woken in the middle of the night with a completely numb arm. I'm not talking pins and needles, i mean it is totally dead. I have no feeling in it watsoever, i try to move it and its like im paralysed. I cry my eyes out while desperately trying to get some feeling into it through massaging. It is such a scary feeling and I always am convinced the feeling isnt going to come back. It normally takes a gd 4-5 minutes for me to gain full control again. I am so worried that it is something serious and it happened again last night and I have been thinkin about it all day long. Does anyone else ever experience this? I thinkI need to go to my doctor but just wondered if anyone else had ever had this happen to them?

Rachel x x x
    <center><font size=\"2\"><font color=BLACK> If you\'re going through hell... keep on going... </font></font></center>

Rachel, is it because you have been lying on your arm? Cause its
    quite common to get numb from having your whole bodies weight on
    something.
    If not, are you 100% sure that you are not dreaming it? Sounds
    stupid I know, but sometimes you get these horrible dreams where
    you can't move, and if you are only half awake, it is possible it is not
    entirely real?
    If not, then like you said, better to go and see a doc. Just to put your
    mind at rest. Might not be anything to worry about at all, but better to
    get it checked out.
    Laugh, quick, before you cry....

Rachel,

I am not a doctor, so I am not saying you shouldn't have it checked out, but I often wake up with a completely dead arm, no circulation whatsoever. I have to lift it with my other arm to move it because I have absolutely no feeling in the arm. It takes about 4 or 5 minutes, like you said, to regain feeling. The reason it happens to me is because I put all of my weight on my arm when I am sleeping, so it loses all circulation. It could be the same thing for you, but you might want a second opinion. Try not to be too anxious about it, though. It probably is nothing serious.

Kimberly
    I must face my fear.
    I will allow it to pass over and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see it\'s path.
    Where it has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. -Dune

I'm with Mysti- the EXACT thing happens to me- to the point that once when I was still half asleep I freaked out because I thought someone else was in bed with me, lol.

You probably just angled your body in such a way that you lost circulation- happens to me at least once or twice a week.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

That happens to my legswhen I sit indian style of something for a while... or i have weight on one.. then i get the wicked pins and needles.. and all is well again...

If you are still very worried or this isn't the case for you, then I would go see a doc.
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

I wouldn't worry, just sounds like you are lying on your arm in your sleep, which compresses the nerve inside and causes numbness. It is completely benign, but I understand your fears, everything seems a little bit more scary in the middle of the night!

Thank u all for ur replies! I am so silly! Like someone said, things are definately much more scary in the middle of the night, it was obvious i had jus laid on it funny but u dont think logically when something scares u!

Mistyeyes - thats exactly wat i have to do, i have to lift it with my other hand because its jus completely floppy and i have no control over it. Thats wat i dont like! Knowing that im touching my body but i cannot feel it freaks me out slightly!!

Thanks again, uv all made me stop worrying about it!

Rachel xxx
    <center><font size=\"2\"><font color=BLACK> If you\'re going through hell... keep on going... </font></font></center>