Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation Mom is feeling sick, panicking

I'm having a really bad panic right now. Really, really freaked out. It's so selfish. I don't want to freak, but I also can't stop. My mom has come home from work (she works in a medical office, and although she's very good with hygiene, is often exposed) feeling brutally ill. Her stomach is hurting bad, she feels very nauseous. She said she almost v*d at the pharmacy. She had some tempura sushi for lunch, deep fried... I don't eat sushi or know anything about it, but she said it was quite heavy. She does have IBS so it could very well be that.

I'm being so selfish and panicking right now, thinking about myself instead of her. I truly want her to be okay, not just for the sake of my emetophobia. But of course emet-wise, I'm panicking. It's just the two of us in a 1200 sq/ft apartment. I am however leaving tomorrow for my aunts house, for 6 days. I'm afraid that the damage will have already been done, if this is in fact a bug. As she's already feeling s ill, she's likely contagious, especially if the actual symptoms start to kick in tonight. I know that all I can do, for myself, is wash my hands and try to stay calm. I know this. I also know there are various reasons why she could be unwell.

Paranoia wise thought, the last time she had a bad bug... it was on a weekend in June. I think it was near Father's Day, which is this upcoming weekend. Can't help but remain superstitious, as I'm totally out of my mind with panic right now. She very rarely v*s or feels sick to her stomach. Stomach aches? Yes. Nausea? Very rare.

I'm feeling sick with fear. She just said, "Oh god my stomach feels gross. I wanna just do something, one way or the other." I'm crying and shaking right now. I have to use the bathroom myself, but she's using mine right now. I'm to the point of paranoia and irrationality that I'm wanting to Lysol my whole bathroom down and scrub my hands. I wish I could leave tonight, as horrible as that is, but I have an exam tomorrow. I don't know how to stay calm right now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

Default Re: Mom is feeling sick, panicking

oh I am so sorry. maybe encourage her to use her bathroom alone and just hole yourself up in your room until tomorrow. it could easily be the sushi - I can't eat it AT ALL. deep fried could have not agreed with her. she could be sick, who knows. but the best thing is to assume it is a SV and just be careful. handwashing is key, you know that. if she does get sick, leave things outside her door, wipe handles and just hunker down until you leave.

She's pretty confident that it's not a bug, and thinks it's actually food poisoning. It came on very sudden, which I thought was a trait for a bug, but she says every bug she's had has presented some "warning signs" before. Nothing has happened yet, not even a BM and she's pretty miserable about that. I'm calming down, physically, but I'm still an emotional wreck. I'm not completely avoiding her; brought her some water and put an anti-emetic beside her bed along with some ginger.

It'll be a long night for the both of us, I think. Whether she's sick or not, she's feeling pretty awful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

Even though she hasn't been sick, or even had a BM, I just Lysol'd the crap out of the bathroom, lol. I'm starting to feel a little better, more in control now... probably heightened anxiety as I have a couple of big exams next week!

It's been 2 hours since she came home. She's feeling the same, nothing has happened. She's not holding back, she would v* if she could. I'm wondering if this were a bug, or something serious, would she have already presented more intense symptoms?

Sounds like you're doing everything you can. My mom is not emet but definitely has a strong dislike of people/herself v* so she takes extreme measures to control it when we were sick at home. One thing she always did was designate one area of the house (usually family room couch) as well as one bathroom to the sick person and we were only allowed in those areas. Then she would just wait on us constantly so that we never had to get up for anything unless it was to go to the bathroom. Seems a bit silly but it worked to contain germs. So just check on your mom frequently while you're there and ask her what she needs so she doesn't have to get up/touch things. Keep cleaning the bathroom before you use it each time and keep your hands washed. It may not even be a bug but at least if it is, you'll be very safe from catching it with those precautions.

how was she last night? is she ok now? if she just felt bad for hours it prob was the food.

Sorry I didn't update, but it turned out she was fine. It was 100% the food, but not food poisoning. She felt really terrible for a couple of hours but later that night, without any trips to the bathroom, her stomach settled and she had dinner. She was completely fine after that, so it was for sure the greasy food. Thanks everyone!

Awww, so glad she's ok. My husband gets like that whenever he has fried fish. Drives me crazy because he always forgets and then eats it again! Every few months he comes home sick as a dog and I asked if he's had fried fish, he gives me a blank stare and then rolls his eyes and says, 'Ohhhhh yeeeeaaahhhhhhh......". He's always miserable for a few hours while it's digesting and then is ok, but it sure isn't fun!