Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy An emetophobe's worst nightmare

Hi, I'm new to the board and thankful there's a place like this for people like us. I've had emetophobia for years but only now is it becoming a real serious problem. Since the age of 20 (I'm 51 now), I've had gastritis (inflammation of the stomach) a few times - no reason identified except anxiety/stress and maybe a bit of dietary overindulgence. Despite the bloating, horrible pain and nausea that comes with each episode, I have (so far) not vomited. Gastritis tends to last from 2-6 months despite a bland diet, medications, etc. As you can imagine it's HELL because the whole time I'm terrified of being sick! I think the anxiety makes it worse.

Two months ago, I developed a lot of acid indigestion after eating a salad with lots of onions. I have since been having daily episodes of indigestion, heartburn, burning pain (especially on an empty stomach) and sometimes acid reflux at night and nausea. Though it might be gastritis again (because I do get acid reflux with that) the symptoms are more consistent with GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). I've read that this is a lifelong disease that can only be managed with drugs (or surgery) - both of which FREAK ME OUT. The meds can have awful side effects if used long term, and nausea and vomiting can be side effects. I've read everything imaginable on GERD and it sounds like a lifelong condition that can only (hopefully) be managed. It's very scary. Some people get this from being overweight and eating poorly - they're lucky because losing weight and changing a few habits can usually help reduce their symptoms. Not so for me. Despite being quite thin and eating very carefully, I have very severe symptoms.

I need to have another gastroscopy (tube down stomach) to explore the possible causes of this problem. I had the procedure before (with sedation) and even though it sounds terrifying, it was a piece of cake.

I'm supposed to be going to Aruba in a few weeks and am terrified that I'm going to get really sick because I won't be able to stick to my strict diet. The meds don't help much and because they reduce stomach acid, they make me more susceptible to (gasp!!!) food poisoning. But if I don't take them, I'll probably feel much worse. I've tried all kinds of natural treatments, including DGL - but it's not enough. I'm so scared and anxious. I wish we didn't have to go on this trip. My hubby is so excited but I'm going to end up ruining it. I'm also worried that I may have stomach cancer. I haven't vomited since the age of 18 (33 years ago!!!) but now that I have this terrible stomach condition, I fear that my future will be nothing but pure misery and nobody can help me. It does seem like my anxiety med (ativan) helps reduce my symptoms somewhat, but I can't take it all the time - it can cause dependence, brain fog and sleepiness where I cannot function. I don't feel like docs can help me - I'm just screwed. This is making me very depressed and scared for my future. I keep looking for answers and can't find any.

Thanks for letting me rant and for listening.

Default Re: An emetophobe's worst nightmare

Wow. Your story is so similar to mine. I can hardly remember a time when I was not emet and I am 49 years old. I have daily nausea and what I call "episodes" where I will have debilitating nausea for days that just mysteriously disappears. I have had many tests but no answers. I have tried multiple meds with little to no relief. Xanax does help somewhat but as you said meds like that can not be taken all the time. I too keep looking for answers but come up with nothing. I am pretty sure my issues are all anxiety related at this point though. I have resigned myself to just living with it which sucks but there seems to be no other option.

Wow, this is a lot like me too. Have always been this way. Have not vomited since I was 12 and I wiil be 42 soon. Hate it. I try to stick to natural remedies and most work well for all the stupid stomachs issues I have. One good one for gas and bloating is activated charcoal. Ginger is good too. Don't take them at the same time because the charcoal will make the ginger not work. Keep some with you on your trip and take a couple twice a day to absorb any toxins you might ingest. I5 is very good if you think you have FP. Have fun and stay safe.

Hi, I'm younger than you but have have severe GERD my whole life (almost 30 years). I've never had gastritis but have had esophagitis as well as many periods of unexplained severe nausea (unrelated to the GERD). I know what it feels like to feel like you're stuck with this condition forever and that there are no good treatment options. It's difficult feeling and I'm sorry you have to go through this!

While GERD often is a lifelong condition, a lot of people (myself included) find their symptoms wax and wane over time and full remission of symptoms is certainly possible! Surgery terrifies me as well and I'm not willing to even consider it either, so I definitely understand you on that! However, with medication, there are definitely medications that can help and the side effects are not that bad. I'm extremely sensitive to medications and I've taken almost everything available for GERD with no noticeable side effects. You said you're taking something right now that is not working that well, are you take a PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor)? This is the strongest class of meds and definitely what you should take during a gastritis flare. They're best not taken long term, but can be taken for a long time (10 years for me) if needed for symptom conrol. In this class there's Aciphex, Prilosec, Zegerid, Protonix, Nexium, Dexilant, etc. If one doesn't work you can always try another, or perhaps you need a stronger dose for a short period of time (if you're not already on the max dose).

If you have gastritis, have you also taken Carafate? This does not reduce acid production but instead coats the stomach lining and allows it to heal. This is only taken short term during the flare up (a few times a day) and has to be properly timed around eating drinking and other medications to work properly. Definitely ask your doctor if you haven't tried it!

Finally, have you taken anything for the nausea? Zofran works amazingly well for nausea without too many side effects (usually just fatigue and some constipation). I would ask your doctor about this as well. Sorry to give you so many ideas of medications to take, but they can really help, and the Zofran and Carafate would only be temporary (for the flare ups).

Other tips would be to research the GERD diet and make sure you're following it, it really helps (at least reduces the number of bad flares). I know you said you're worried about not being able to follow the diet on your trip, but can you bring some food with you or buy food from the store she when you get there as I know dining out can be difficult? As an emet that s terrified of restaurants, I live off things like instant oatmeal, snack bars, dry cereal, crackers/pretzels, canned tuna, bananas etc when I travel so I don't have to eat in restaurants but you may not want to do that. Even if you have to dine out, can you get stuff like oat meal or egg whites for breakfast, plain turkey/chicken/fish, baked potatoes, plain pasta etc.? That would at least be GERD friendly!

Sorry if all this info is overwhelming but I know how difficult GERD can be so I like to try to help when I can! Let me know if you have any questions!

Hi, I'm younger than you but have have severe GERD my whole life (almost 30 years). I've never had gastritis but have had esophagitis as well as many periods of unexplained severe nausea (unrelated to the GERD). I know what it feels like to feel like you're stuck with this condition forever and that there are no good treatment options. It's difficult feeling and I'm sorry you have to go through this!

While GERD often is a lifelong condition, a lot of people (myself included) find their symptoms wax and wane over time and full remission of symptoms is certainly possible! Surgery terrifies me as well and I'm not willing to even consider it either, so I definitely understand you on that! However, with medication, there are definitely medications that can help and the side effects are not that bad. I'm extremely sensitive to medications and I've taken almost everything available for GERD with no noticeable side effects. You said you're taking something right now that is not working that well, are you take a PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor)? This is the strongest class of meds and definitely what you should take during a gastritis flare. They're best not taken long term, but can be taken for a long time (10 years for me) if needed for symptom conrol. In this class there's Aciphex, Prilosec, Zegerid, Protonix, Nexium, Dexilant, etc. If one doesn't work you can always try another, or perhaps you need a stronger dose for a short period of time (if you're not already on the max dose).

If you have gastritis, have you also taken Carafate? This does not reduce acid production but instead coats the stomach lining and allows it to heal. This is only taken short term during the flare up (a few times a day) and has to be properly timed around eating drinking and other medications to work properly. Definitely ask your doctor if you haven't tried it!

Finally, have you taken anything for the nausea? Zofran works amazingly well for nausea without too many side effects (usually just fatigue and some constipation). I would ask your doctor about this as well. Sorry to give you so many ideas of medications to take, but they can really help, and the Zofran and Carafate would only be temporary (for the flare ups).

Other tips would be to research the GERD diet and make sure you're following it, it really helps (at least reduces the number of bad flares). I know you said you're worried about not being able to follow the diet on your trip, but can you bring some food with you or buy food from the store she when you get there as I know dining out can be difficult? As an emet that s terrified of restaurants, I live off things like instant oatmeal, snack bars, dry cereal, crackers/pretzels, canned tuna, bananas etc when I travel so I don't have to eat in restaurants but you may not want to do that. Even if you have to dine out, can you get stuff like oat meal or egg whites for breakfast, plain turkey/chicken/fish, baked potatoes, plain pasta etc.? That would at least be GERD friendly!

Sorry if all this info is overwhelming but I know how difficult GERD can be so I like to try to help when I can! Let me know if you have any questions!

Very interesting to hear. I am afraid that I too have a digestive disorder. And being an emet just doesn't help. GERD will be a complication, however, it can be managed. Certain foods (acidic) can cause GERD episodes along with other foods. It varies for everyone. I would recommend maybe keeping track of the things you eat and seeing which foods are causing you discomfort. Then possibly removing them from your diet. I hope everything goes well with you! I'm hoping to see the doctor to figure out what stomach issues I have. Keep us updated. I'm also new to the board!!

What's ironic, like you pointed out, that the majority of the time despite these gastric things we may have DONT result in our biggest fear.. It's more tedious with acid, bloating and n* though which makes us dread it more. I'm sorry youv had to go through this for so long.

You've made a brave move in planning to go away, that shows your definitely beating it cos its a big deal!
    Honestly when it gets to the point where we can't do anything about our stummies, alllways rely on peppermint. Any acids aren't as powerful with n* but they're a way for me to tell if I'm really sick or not(they make me sooo hungry after an episode of indigestion) also gum works and one which I have used for many a year has been toothpaste. Stick a tiny bit onto your finger and swish it about your mouth.