Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Vomit Dreams?

Default Vomit Dreams?

Hey all,
    Has anyone experienced vomit dreams? Where either you or you see someone else throwing up? I've had them a few times in my life, and last night included. I've read before other members having vomit dreams thinking its a precursor to catching norovirus. I'm really big into dreams and symbols so I did my own sort of research about what our brains may be telling us during these unpleasant sleepy experiences. Feel free to contribute. I'd love to hear input

Personally, this is extremely fitting to me which is why I want to share.

Vomiting
    To dream that you are vomiting indicates that you need to reject or discard an aspect of your life that is revolting. There are some emotions or concepts that you need to confront and then let go.
    To see someone vomiting in your dream signifies the false pretenses of people who are trying to take advantage of you.

This is most commonly an idea or a belief which we have internalized, or “eaten,” and which we now need to remove and be rid of before it causes more damage. It is also possible to have a vomiting dream symbol about a relationship or even about a situation in life, though these things are also most often connected to ideas and beliefs. People make us believe different things about ourselves, and so a toxic relationship can make us believe things about ourselves that we should reject for our own well-being.

Default Re: Vomit Dreams?

It seems like I have had related dreams to this, but it usually comes down to there being vomiting around me, but usually not me actually doing it myself. I don't normally remember my dreams all that well though. I've had more choking dreams where it was happening to me. Those were pretty disturbing. The vomiting ones, it seemed to be happening to other people, and I was sure it was going to get me, but it hadn't yet, and then I would wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by jkl81 View Post
    It seems like I have had related dreams to this, but it usually comes down to there being vomiting around me, but usually not me actually doing it myself. I don't normally remember my dreams all that well though. I've had more choking dreams where it was happening to me. Those were pretty disturbing. The vomiting ones, it seemed to be happening to other people, and I was sure it was going to get me, but it hadn't yet, and then I would wake up.
    I should have specified, mine last night was people (family members) vomiting around me too. Some have been myself though

I get them from time to time, both myself or another person vomiting. When it is me, the feeling is very odd, and not like real vomiting. Something happens to my throat at night that makes me wake up gagging, so I always attributed the dreams to that. But needing to purge something from your life is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by SiMama View Post
    I get them from time to time, both myself or another person vomiting. When it is me, the feeling is very odd, and not like real vomiting. Something happens to my throat at night that makes me wake up gagging, so I always attributed the dreams to that. But needing to purge something from your life is interesting.
    Oh my gosh. The dreams I've had with myself vomiting is that exact weird feeling of my throat!
    The translation is also based on one self and seeing others vomit

It definitely makes you think. I'm so into symbolism from dreams. I have drempt of a car accident I was in about 4 years ago the night before it happened. It was a really REALLY weird screwed up premonition.

I also have them from time to time and it's never like real v*. It's that chocking/gagging feeling while it happens and not a smooth normal body process. Sometimes I dream of others v* as well. I always just attributed it to the fact that v* is on my mind so often during the day due to my phobia, so it makes sense that it finds its way to my dreams as well.

Hahah that happens to me all the time! Like still now when I'm recovered I dream about it. Emetomania has been mentioned a lot around the forum lately and I think that is what it is, the fact that we're all emetomaniacs. The dreams I have aren't nightmares, but I very very often dream that other people throw up! It's never me though, always other people!

Quote Originally Posted by chixy View Post
    Hahah that happens to me all the time! Like still now when I'm recovered I dream about it. Emetomania has been mentioned a lot around the forum lately and I think that is what it is, the fact that we're all emetomaniacs. The dreams I have aren't nightmares, but I very very often dream that other people throw up! It's never me though, always other people!
    I like the word emetomania for that reason! It was very strange this dream. I can't classify this particular one as a nightmare but most of my dreams lately I have been "lost"/ have a confused feeling to it. It's very strange but makes sense at the same time.