Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Some sensible advice

I read this on a forum:

My son (age 10) understood it when I put it this way: the germs that make you throw up are on everything you touch, so if you don't want to throw up, wash your hands before you eat and after using the bathroom.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Some sensible advice

Very sensible! However I don't think they're on EVERYTHING we touch. In fact, the vast majority of things we touch don't have germs that make us throw up But yes of course should always wash your hands before eating

A good way of looking at it
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

That's definitely how I see/treat the world even if it is a bit exaggerated. I'd rather be safe than sorry since we can't see which surfaces actually have v* germs.

That's a great way to make your kid afraid of touching things full stop.

Vomit germs are not on everything we touch. This is the logic my own mother tried to tell me while I was younger (because SHE was emetophobia/germaphobic) and voila. I learned from her. I feel like that thought process alone is the perfect storm to raising another emetophobic.

I'm not against children learning proper hygiene, but not like that.

Doug, could you explain how this is sensible?
    Last edited by JadeNight; 06-30-2015 at 02:27 PM.

I agree with JadeNight, I don't really think it sounds sensible. To be blunt it sounds obsessive and phobic, and I wouldn't want to encourage my kids to obsess about something in a phobic way.

Quote Originally Posted by chixy View Post
    I agree with JadeNight, I don't really think it sounds sensible. To be blunt it sounds obsessive and phobic, and I wouldn't want to encourage my kids to obsess about something in a phobic way.
    True. I think you can still get the message across to wash your hands before eating without resorting to blatantly untrue scare tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Collie View Post
    True. I think you can still get the message across to wash your hands before eating without resorting to blatantly untrue scare tactics
    Exactly. I mean, I'm no parent. But if I was potty training my child, I would include it with their bathroom routine so they know to wash their hands after they use the toilet. Make it a habit, and make it fun. (Sing a song, colored soap. Idk haha) Or even before eating too. Though, I don't wash my hands before eating unless I handled something like chicken or if I was cleaning, or if my hands were physically dirty lol.

my daughter is 3 and I encourage her to wash her hands when we come in from being out, and before she eats. I try really, really hard not to be over the top about it tho

Growing up I rarely even washed my hands after using the toilet (GROSS!), and was also rarely ill. I went through all of Jr.High, High School, college and my 20's without a stomach virus. Kids SHOULD wash their hands after using the restroom and before they eat but convincing them that NOT doing so or touching their mouths without washing up is going to make them vomit is not only scary but untrue.

I've surprised myself since having a child because I always thought I'd be at them every 5 minutes with wet wipes and hand sanitisers but I'm actually really laid back with him regarding hand hygiene. I do ask him to wash his hands whrn we get home from being out, before his meals (but not before every biscuit or piece of fruit etc) and I'm strict about washing hands after using the loo e everytime but to me that's just sensible hygiene not weird emety behaviour.

I've intentionally tried not to pass on my fears. I have explained to him that there are germs you can't see which can give you a poorly tummy but that is actually a fact and the reason why everyone should wash their hands after using the bathroom, nothing to do with emet.
    Last edited by paulinek; 07-19-2015 at 06:06 PM.

I have to disagree with this. Besides, germs are not the only reason why people vomit...so not only is it very fear-inducing it is also not true.

also the biggest way germs infect us? touching our eyes. so you have to wash you hands before touching your face as well
    “A man that flies from his fear may find that he has only taken a short cut to meet it.”

Quote Originally Posted by canonguy View Post
    also the biggest way germs infect us? touching our eyes. so you have to wash you hands before touching your face as well
    Not eyes, mouth.

Or??
    Jon Miazma Watsky forever <3

As a kid my sisters and I were always taught to wash our hands:

- Before eating, but even then if you are not using your hands at all it should be fine. This didn't always happen and I can count the number of SV*s I have had in my life on one hand.
    - After going to the toilet. Again, this didn't always happen... it did for number twos, but rarely for number ones; well unless it was a public toilet, then it always happened (kids are gross and really don't worry about things like that, they are more interested in getting back to their game)
    - After touching/handling any animals. This happened for a while, but when we ended up with every pet under the sun (males managing to get in with females and people giving us their unwanted animals) it became much more difficult to remember to wash them.
    - After being outside, either in the garden (we used to play with mud and stuff) or when we have come home from being out. This happened most of the time, not always, but mostly, usually because we had dirt on our hands or something.

These are all dirty places/things, so it makes sense to wash your hands after these situations. And even if you don't, as I said right at the top, I can count the number of times I have had a sv* on one hand. To say that germs are on EVERYTHING that you touch seems like a bit of an overkill.
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring" - Marilyn Monroe