Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Possible to "develop" motion sickness?

Over the past month or two, I've started to feel sick in car rides if I'm not driving. I've had my license for over a year now, and in April got my license to drive by myself. Like even in the front seat, I'll feel ill sometimes... which is especially odd as I've been notorious in my family for the iron stomach; I grew up doing roadtrips every weekend, and boating with my dad. Never felt the slightest bit sick. So is it even possible to form motion sickness after 17 years?

I'm wondering if it's just anxiety; my mind getting worked up when I'm in the car? Because sometimes I'm absolutely fine. Like yesterday, 6 hour road-trip home -- decided not to take a Dramamine to see what happened. I was fine.

My anxiety has been through the charts, and not just emetophobia related. My alternative theory is that I was in the car, passenger seat, when I had a panic attack in the last 6 months and have attributed that to motion sickness as opposed to anxiety.

Anyway... just rambling. It's frustrating to be afraid of car rides, as it's such a big thing in my family and I've been doing them for as long as I can remember. I take another road-trip on Sunday from Vancouver (BC) to Cannon Beach (OR), and in total it'll be about 8 hours. I've been doing this trip specifically for 15 years. I do have access to the front seat, or I can drive if need be. So I'm trying not to worry too much, and I'll have Dramamine and ginger on hand. Grr!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

Default Re: Possible to "develop" motion sickness?

I'd guess it's anxiety. I never had motion sickness until my emetophobia flared up really bad last year. I remember being in the car the first time it happened, I was in the front seat, we took a turn and I almost had to have the driver pull over because the n* was so bad I really thought I was going to v*. After that I would frequently get n* if I was in the car not driving. Since I've gotten my anxiety under control, I no longer have any symptoms of motion sickness.

I don't think people usually develop motion sickness if they've never had it before unless there is something going on with your inner ear. It may not be a bad idea to have that checked just in case, but there's a good chance it's just related to your anxiety, since you said it it "through the charts" right now.

Default Re: Possible to "develop" motion sickness?

Really hoping to prove that it's anxiety on my upcoming roadtrip. I want to avoid taking Dramamine, take deep breaths, and function like I normally would on the same trip. Hopefully it works out, and the most I'll end up using is some ginger. Really trying to end my recent dependence on medications, Dramamine and Lorazepam :/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."