Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default need advice, or sympathy. I dunno

I had a horrible morning, and my nerves are shot. I'm feeling nervous and agitated.

My dog, love her but she's a brat, peed on the living room throw rug.

The smell was so awful, so awfully awful (taking her to vet to see if she has a bladder infection)... That I nearly v*.

I had a massive dry h*, I thankfully didn't fully v*... If I had it would have only been bile cause I didn't eat breakfast or anything last night.

But now I'm in full grossed out mode and am trying to find a way to calm down cause I'm working myself up... Any ideas?

Default Re: need advice, or sympathy. I dunno

Go outside for some fresh air to calm down. Dry heaving in response to a strong smell is totally normal. Then tie a scarf around your nose and mouth and clean the spot asap

But when I do it, I feel sick the rest of the day. Thankfully, my stomach seems to be calming now that I'm away from the smell. My mom cleaned it while I took her to the vet. Still waiting on results but vet thinks it's a chemical reaction to the urine and the dyes in the carpet.

Urgh. Last time I did that, V* followed. I think that's why I'm panicking. But I'm calming down. Thanks <3

I know how you feel and I definitely associate the last time I v* with things (I ate this, I did this). It takes a lot of effort to try and remember A+B won't always equal C. I went through a terrible panic attack phase a few years ago where I would almost pass out from panic. With therapy, I learned you have to find coping techniques that help calm you. If you do the same thing each time, coping will get easier with time but it does require discipline.

I had a coworker that used to eat the nastiest smelling breakfast and she would throw the leftovers in the trash. I could smell it all day and it was giving me panic attacks that it was going to make me v*. I hold this phobia very closely so I didn't see talking about it as an option. It took all my energy to get over the smell so I can imagine how you are feeling. Glad to hear you're doing better!