Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default New Member, on road to recovery!

Hey everyone I am a new member here although I have been lurking around for some time. I am on the road to recovery and actively working on this daily. Just wondering if there are other ppl at the same position here. I know we can all overcome this if we work hard enough . It will take time patience and lots of hard work but it can be done!

Default Re: New Member, on road to recovery!

Hey! I've been working through Thrive and am doing loads better than I was but I still struggle sometimes. I'm pretty good with managing safety seeking behaviour and pushing myself these days but I still flake out if I feel sick myself, or if someone close to me is sick. I have to admit that when I'm doing ok I tend to stay away from the boards and only really come on if I'm having a meltdown (which I know is selfish and the opposite of managing my thinking well!). Would be great to get something going for people who're actively working on recovery but haven't quite got there yet

You just reminded me that I have the thrive program in my drawer lol! It's a pretty good program , I had started it but went through a bit of a really low rough patch and didn't pick it up after . Only got to about the 4th chapter . It was very helpful , I enjoyed the exercises.

I am like you, pretty strong and do well over all until I feel sick. Then it all comes falling down. It's something to work on that I know for sure. I'm trying to set up my mentality that every potentially anxious situation is simply an opportunity to be stronger and prove my mind wrong.

I wonder if this board has a designated area for recovery focused members ? I'm really new here lol. I'm sure the members will point it out ... Members ?!

Hi flowerchild and welcome! I did a bit of CBT years ago and lots better than I used to be but I don't know why lol I've not done anything particular I just seem to have improved gradually. I've read a lot of good advice on here and online generally over the years which has helped too. I'm Glad you're working hard towards getting control over this fear

There's not a specific recovery board but there is a triumphs one which would be a good place to post recovery related posts and we could ask the admin if it could be renamed to cover recovery too.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Thank you Paulinek. I kind of know what you mean by that because I've experienced the same thing in my life. I am afraid of myself being sick not others and I've come a long way because I used to be bothered by others a great deal too. I'm really happy to have found this community although I havent participated much Im sure I will when I get comfortable on here. Thank you for telling me about the triumph board. That would probably be the best place to post about recovery.

I will keep you posted !

Hello Flowerchild! I'm new too. My anxiety stems from if i feel n*, but not reading it. I distinctly remember being 9, family guy was on, but i wasn't watching. Then the dreaded chowder scene came on. If you've never heard, its best it stayed that way. That traumatized me. I'm steadily getting better, I've been seeing a therapist for a year, now i can occasionally eat with my hands and pick stuff up.

We are all brave, we are all trying! and I'm happy you're getting over this one step at a time! Pm me if anyone needs it

Hey psi ! I think it's pretty common for anxiety to stem from nausea . Especially for us , because we never actually get sick! We just feel all the bad anxiety feelings with no relief. I'm not too scared of others being ill just myself. You will get through this we all will