Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default This is it.... daughter has 'it'

10 year old complaining of a headache, n* and a tummy ache before bed. So I prepared everything the best I could and sent her off to bed. 5 hours later, it started.

She tu* twice, really close together. Like maybe 10 minutes apart. It's been right at an hour since she v*. She's sleeping on a pallete in the bathroom right now. I've got everything as under control as I can, rubber gloves, face masks, bleach, plastic bags, etc. I am worried about the bottoms of my feet and what I'm tracking as I go in and out of the bathroom to help her. I lined a path on the floor to my office and bedroom with towels but I can't do that all over the house. Anyone have any suggestions?

I had noro once, and I remember I had d&v every 20-30 minutes. Does anyone know how often you d&v with noro? Could this be something else?

Today is my birthday. Happy birthday to me!

Default Re: This is it.... daughter has 'it'

Over two hours since last v* episode. She's sleeping. Husband has returned from middle of the night Wal-Mart run with reinforcement supplies. I put onions all over my house. Luckily my best friend is our family doctor, so I texted her and asked her for some dissolving Zofran. I will have that at 9 am when the pharmacy opens.

This doesn't sound like noro, right?

I'm sorry your daughter is ill. I know how distressing this is, but I do think the things you are doing are going to frighten your daughter and make her feel like she's done something terrible when the poor girl is simply ill. Onions, trails of towels and face masks are OTT.

Firstly you don't know that it is anything contagious, but even if it is you don't need to do all those things. All that is necessary is to discreetly wipe down the surfaces in the room that she threw up in with a 10% bleach to water solution or with some Dettol Spray (Lysol if you are in the US) and wash your own hands before putting them in your mouth directly or indirectly (eg preparing or eating food)

Why are you giving her Zofran? There's no medical need for it, it would only be so you don't have to deal with any more sick and it's going to make her feel whoozy so I don't think thats very fair on your daughter.

I'm not getting at you because i too have felt the terror when my son has been sick, and he actually vomited all down my front and arm with viral gastroenteritis once and i still didn't get it and I only took the precautions I have mentioned above. I know giving her kisses and cuddles is maybe a step too far for an emet but treating the bathroom like some sort of biohazard area and administering drugs isn't nice.

I hope she is feeling better soon for her, and also so you can relax a bit. This will soon be over x
    Last edited by paulinek; 07-27-2015 at 09:02 AM. Reason: typo

Oh and I just noticed it is your birthday! - happy birthday!!! My son got noro on my 40th, that was a birthday not to remember Hope you can get to enjoy your day a bit, if not I would postpone and celebrate it in a few days time when everything has settled down.

I'm sorry this is happening Sounds like the worst is over at least.

Can somebody please explain the onions thing to me?

I know how hard it is when someone is sick and you're the one responsible for caring for them! HUGS!

That being said, please try not to do anything that will make your daughter feel bad about what is happening. No matter how hard that may be - it's important to do your best with that. This will all be over in a few days max, you don't want to create any negative emotions around being sick for your daughter.

While noro is contagious - it's not like the second someone begins to v*/have d* every surface of the room is coated with the virus. Wait until she has left the bathroom and is comfortable elsewhere to wipe down surfaces such as the toilet, sink/counter top, and maybe the door knob. That's it! You don't have to sanitize the floors or your feet unless there was v* on them.

I'd also recommend against zofran as it seems she isn't even v* that much. As much as it can be hard for us to accept, v* is normal and there isn't really a need to medicate against except in certain situations.

Plus, we don't know that it is noro at all. Could it be a migraine? My sister had them at a young age and they always caused her to v*. If that's the case she's not even contagious.

Again, I truly am sorry to hear that your daughter is sick and that you have to be going through this. It is so stressful for us emets to deal with and I can sympathize! Just try to keep her comfortable and hydrated. Remind yourself it won't last forever and you'll all be happy and healthy before you know it!

How are you both doing now?