Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Several people at my work place has been sick and so has everybody else in this country (Denmark). I am freaking out. I cant stand this anymore. Its everywhere and I feel like these stomach bugs are HUNTING me down, forcing me to a corner and when no more escape is possible, I am certain they will invade my body and eat me up from the inside until I vomit everything out in 2 or 3 days.

I cant stand this anymore I am scared and even though my doctor says metoclopramide works against nausea of all kinds I am still afraid it wont work for me or that I will eventually take it too late and vomit before it works (it takes 1 hour for it to work).

HELP!

I am sorry you are going through this. This is such a bad time of year for all of us. I am hearing about a stomach virus going around schools where I live. It is so stressful and so frustrating to have to worry about something that we cannot control. I am sure you will be fine. We are so aware and make sure we are always on guard that we usually do steer clear of these viruses. Know what I mean?

Try not to stress too much.

Wait... Stomach bug is going around i USA. So is it in Denmark.

Why is it around in both countries at once?

And always at the same time of the year?

I know stomach bugs are infectious all the time but it is usually in the fall and winter periodes it hits.

In all of the western world...

Edited by: dktekno

You will be fine. Remember, you have an immune system that will fight these things off. Also, if you do happen to get sick.. Remember that you cannot rid yourself of this fear without facing it, so there is EVEN a positive to that. Constant avoidance cannot offer us growth. I know it sounds like crappy advice, but seriously, it's better than worrying so much about things that you cannot control. You will be okay. I am sure you are a strong and healthy person.
    \"This too shall pass\"

Quote Originally Posted by shiva
    You will be fine. Remember, you have an immune system that will fight these things off. Also, if you do happen to get sick.. Remember that you cannot rid yourself of this fear without facing it, so there is EVEN a positive to that. Constant avoidance cannot offer us growth. I know it sounds like crappy advice, but seriously, it's better than worrying so much about things that you cannot control. You will be okay. I am sure you are a strong and healthy person.

I agree with shiva. You will be OKAY, and if by some slight chance you do get sick, you will get through it. Remember, things like this don't last forever. Whatever happens, you will be okay. I always try to remind myself that the fear of being sick is always worse than actually being sick. It doesn't make the fear go away, but it helps me deal with the anxiety better.
    I must face my fear.
    I will allow it to pass over and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see it\'s path.
    Where it has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. -Dune

This is not the same in my case. Every time I have vomited I get confirmed how bad it is.

Quote Originally Posted by dktekno
    This is not the same in my case. Every time I have vomited I get confirmed how bad it is.

But is it really that bad? Maybe it is just your emet that is making it feel that bad.? What I am saying is that the FEAR makes the v* seem worse than it actually is. That isn't to say that what you are feeling isn't real. It is real, to you and to everyone else that suffers from this phobia. But our minds, because we are afraid of v*, have a difficult time rationalizing what is really going on.
    I must face my fear.

No. I am feeling choked. Cant breathe while it happens. Cant do
    anything. And the very bad sensation when something goes through my
    throat.

That is what I dont like.

Imagine a person hanging in the gallow.

He is not dead but is slowly dying of choking.

It is not the death at the end that is what one would fear in this case. But the choking. The pain.

It is better not to live. It is easier to cope with. Billions of people already
    do. And they feel nothing. They are at rest. They are sleeping forever.
    Have no pain. Have nothing to worry about. And are never going to vomit
    again.

Edited by: dktekno

That is exactly what I am getting at. Everyone has that sensation of choking and not being able to breathe when they v*. But most don't fear that sensation like an emet does. For an emet, that is the WORST thing in the world. But it is the FEAR that makes us think that way. It's by learning to deal with that fear that we can overcome it. Avoiding it will not make it go away. Avoiding it just makes the fear worse.

And, please, don't think that death is EVER better. It isn't. Life is a struggle, especially for emets and others that have phobias like we do. But in the end, I believe you, me, and others that have similar fears will be stronger, BETTER people because of it.

Please, BELIEVE that you can learn to control your fear. Don't let your fear control you. And you will always have other emets that understand that you are scared and that being afraid is OKAY. Just DON'T let the fear dictate who you will be.

Also, I hope you will remember that you will always have support here from other emets no matter what happens. We all know that you are stronger than your fear.
    I must face my fear.

Dktekno - you are worrying me. Please don't feel this way. Life is a
    very precious thing. I know we all fear alot of things in life because
    of emet, but seriously if you are feeling this way, please get some
    help!! Is there any counsellors you have spoken to, who you trust?
    There really is a reason to live!!! Hang in there. PM me or I am on
    Yahoo as winter_worrier. Remember you are not alone with your
    fears!
    Laugh, quick, before you cry....

Dkteckno-

Think of this if you are pondering suicide because of a fear of vomitting. There are SO many people who have severe terminal illnesses who are pumping their body full of chemicals (some of which cause vomitting so severe they are put on an IV)- in order to stay alive and be with the people they love just a few weeks/months longer.

Life is SO precious, and should never EVER be taken for granted.

It sounds like you have some serious thinking errors- if you get in touch with a competent psychologist, they can literally teach you a new way of thinking, because honestly vomitting isn't pleasant for anyone. As misty said, it's really the fear that's getting to you- and this can be worked on. Don't give up before even trying.

Best of luck,

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reread what you wrote here. It is very vivid; I'd say it is even worthy of a Pulitzer prize.

You are writing an image of viruses actively seeking you out as if you are at war. With this type of thinking, no wonder you feel so, so upset and afraid.

There are not any viruses hunting you down. Have you ever just tried talking to yourself in a calming way? Instead of imagining this image that you write about, why not imagine a soothing place and tell yourself that you are safe and that everything is fine. Everytime you want to picture this at war image, tell yourself you are safe and all is fine. Because you are safe.

Quote Originally Posted by dktekno

Several people at my work place has been sick and so has everybody else in this country (Denmark). I am freaking out. I cant stand this anymore. Its everywhere and I feel like these stomach bugs are HUNTING me down, forcing me to a corner and when no more escape is possible, I am certain they will invade my body and eat me up from the inside until I vomit everything out in 2 or 3 days.

I cant stand this anymore I am scared and even though my doctor says metoclopramide works against nausea of all kinds I am still afraid it wont work for me or that I will eventually take it too late and vomit before it works (it takes 1 hour for it to work).

HELP!

Dktech, just KNOW that you're not alone...stomach bugs hit EVERY part of the world! It's all across the USA here also.
    I agree with what everyone stated above.

What's odd right now is that i don't hear of all of this "stomach bug" crap where i am. Once in a blue moon will i hear a person talk about catching an sv*. I don't know why that is...but it just doesn't seem wide spread in my area...and i'm not only talking about this year, i mean for the last many years! Maybe ppl around here take better precautions to avoid it...i really don't know. But i know it's around! I can't run from it, but i'm not gonna become a recluse and hide away from life because of it either!

Please try to calm yourself down, and let your "rational" mind take over :-)
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7