Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Do you eat seafood?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, all kinds

10 25.64%
  • Only some kinds

23 58.97%
  • No, not at all

6 15.38%

Hybrid View

Default Do you eat seafood?

If you answer is "only some kinds," then please post a message saying what kinds of seafood you eat.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Do you eat seafood?

I like most seafood, but will not do any raw, like clams, oysters, etc. Most of what I will eat are "flat fish" flounder types, shrimp, salmon, etc.

I can eat salmon, breaded shrimp, tuna, and fish you would get from a restaurant. I won't eat oysters, clams, sushi.
    Original Register Date w/Old Account: 27 December 2012.

Only some kinds; I like tuna and I've tried California rolls and enjoyed them (surprisingly I wasn't afraid that it wouldn't be fresh, I was more afraid I would find myself allergic to crab). The others aren't because I'm afraid I'll get sick, but because I just don't like them.
    Last edited by Maige; 08-02-2015 at 06:34 PM.

The knowledge that you one day will conquer this fear, it fills you with determination.

I love salmon, scallops and halibut. I will on occasion eat crab, shrimp or a fully cooked tuna filet. I used to love lobster until a few years ago when we bought a couple of tails and one of them was mushy after it was cooked. After a quick google search, I learned that lobster meat spolis quickly if a lobster is slaughtered and not frozen immediately, resulting in mushy meat. Luckily we suspected something was off and didn't eat it before learning this. Unfortunately, it resulted in $60 worth of meat going into the trash since neither of us could bring ourselves to eat the other tail after that close call. I've avoided it ever since
    Jennifer
    “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”
    ― John Milton, Paradise Lost

Yep. Love it. I'll try anything once. I would even eat that live squid they serve in Korea if given the opportunity

Pretty much the only seafood I eat is shrimp.. I tried fish once, and I won't eat it. Not because it made me ill, I just generally didn't like the flavor.. tasted weird to me.
    Even if we're breaking down, we can find a way to break through
    Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
    Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you
    --- Rachel Platten "Stand By You" ♥

I eat most seafood, but the seafood I don't eat isn't because I'm scared of it, it's because I don't like the taste. i absolutely LOVE sushi.
    Come visit my history blog:

i like salmon, cod, shrimp (but it has to be breaded), tuna, sushi (with cooked ingredients, not raw), crab and lobster. i pretty much just dislike anything "squishy" or anything that i feel could easily contain bacteria like oysters. it's kind of a goal of mine to try regular sushi someday!! but i've always been too scared of getting sick from it.

I eat seafood and love it. My fav is raw sushi OMG so good! I don't like scallops but that's just taste not because I'm afraid !

Nope! I actually became a vegetarian for my fear of getting ill from meat or seafood.

But I never really ate seafood to begin with, I was allergic to most of it.

I eat all fish.. well apart from salmon as I really do not like the taste of it, but will not eat anything in a shell, so oysters, mussels etc etc
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring" - Marilyn Monroe

I like salmon, shrimp, pollock i.e fish sticks, and tilapia. I've never tried any else except crab, but it gave me a panic attack so I'd rather not..

I love all of it. I don't like the texture of raw oysters or clams but I've tried both. Sushi, especially raw or just seared tuna is one of my favorites. Crab nights are like holidays in my house. LOL. As far as emet aversions the only foods I avoid are "mixed" mayonaisey stuff like chicken salad, tuna salad, coleslaw. . . etc if it's not made at home.
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ

I eat most all seafood! Sushi is actually a favorite of mine, even. It has never seemed to be a problem food for me. I'm thankful for that, because I love it!
    Last edited by BrookeM; 02-15-2016 at 12:05 AM.

I tend to like seafood, but I only eat it sparingly and never EVER raw ^o^;.

I've only started eating seafood in the past few months since I've gotten my anxiety/phobia under control. I never liked it growing up so never ate it then. Then I was afraid to eat it because I didn't know how my body would respond and it just didn't seem trustworthy enough to my emetophobic mind.

I'll try pretty much any type of seafood now - though I just don't care for most of it. I try to eat it because I know it's good for me, and because I want to expand my palate, and because I don't want to go back to not doing things because of anxiety/emetophobia.

It's one of my go to foods, but I won't eat raw shellfish. I haven't had raw fish, but might try it one day. I think raw fish is probably not all that risky if purchased from a restaurant or fish market that actually knows what they're doing. The sushi rice scares me more, but it too is safe if prepared properly. Raw shellfish is not really a safe food and not just for emet reasons, especially if your immune system is compromised in any way. I also work for a local seafood market and that being said, we have sold a lot of raw oysters with few complaints and the water gets not just warm but hot down here in the gulf.

I wont ever eat raw fish, especially raw shellfish. But I will have cooked cod, battered or not and cooked salmon sometimes!

Yessss! Shrimp, crab and lobster are my all-time faves. No raw shellfish or sushi though. That's just asking for trouble. Cooking food helps kill any viruses AND bacteria that might be present. You never know how many people have handled your food before it reaches your plate.

As far as norovirus and other stomach bugs go, salad and other raw veggies/fruits are just as dangerous as undercooked meat or shellfish. People usually only think of meat, eggs and other animal products when it comes to "food poisoning," but literally any food can carry germs that make you sick. Hence why I avoid buffets and salad bars
    Last edited by Aspie Grrrl; 12-11-2015 at 06:09 PM.

I'm a pescatarian, so any and all fish. I love sushi, raw eel, tuna, salmon, crab, etc.

To the poster above, that's a fairly fatalistic thing to say to people on here. By that logic, no one should eat anything ever if they're worried about germs contaminating their food. If handled and/or cooked properly, eating literally anything is fine and won't make you sick. I regularly eat raw fish and I've never had an issue, and I'm the rule, not the exception in that respect.

Not so often but when I get the chance then I do! I'm all about the shrimp life even if sometimes it makes me feel...ek

I'm in the seafood industry and I believe that you can be pretty safe with raw fish if it is properly prepared. Raw shellfish is just not a good idea at least in my part of the world, but that being said, we have sold thousands of bushels of oysters in my time there, and have not had many complaints.

I love fish! Especially tilapia and catfish. Southern fried catfish is one of my favorite things to eat! I don't like the texture and/or taste of crab, shrimp, oysters and lobster. Sushi is okay by me as long as it is tuna or salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiGal View Post
    I love fish! Especially tilapia and catfish. Southern fried catfish is one of my favorite things to eat! I don't like the texture and/or taste of crab, shrimp, oysters and lobster. Sushi is okay by me as long as it is tuna or salmon.
    Catfish are very safe emet wise, and so are tilapia. They taste great if they come from a clear body of water but around here they often taste like mud! We also have saltwater catfish down here which are the same except a little more "gamey" if you will. I'm mostly too lazy to clean them in my older age, and yeah they pack an awful wallop on the level of a bad bee/wasp sting. By your choice of foods you are in the wrong region ChiGal thanks for sharing though.

Quote Originally Posted by jkl81 View Post
    Catfish are very safe emet wise, and so are tilapia. They taste great if they come from a clear body of water but around here they often taste like mud! We also have saltwater catfish down here which are the same except a little more "gamey" if you will. I'm mostly too lazy to clean them in my older age, and yeah they pack an awful wallop on the level of a bad bee/wasp sting. By your choice of foods you are in the wrong region ChiGal thanks for sharing though.
    Lol! I honestly am a strange kind of emet - I could care less if I get sick, I worry about my family only. Well I don't enjoy getting sick but it doesn't send me into a tailspin like when my family has it lol.

I really like fish! Especially breaded and/or fried. I also like cod or any kind of white fish as well.

Some kinds (like fish), but rarely others (like calamari, octopus).

I eat octopus a few times a year. I do get a bit uncomfortable and regretful after eating them, hoping that I won't catch anything.

I love seafood especially sushi which I eat often at college. Crab legs are another huge favorite of mine. My parents are pescitarian so I grew up eating a lot of seafood.