Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Likelihood of vomiting with high fever?

I woke up with a terrible headache and 101.5 fever this morning. My entire back was cramped too, but I'm getting my period so I blamed it on that - although the cramps have never been so intense. I also felt the tiniest bit of nausea but think that could've been from anxiety. My fever has gone up to 103.8 tonight. Intense heat flashes and chills, alternating very rapidly. I know I need sleep but I am so afraid I'm going to wake up in the middle of the night and v. My stomach isn't botheringme but can a high fever make you v? I'm freaked out. I also still have the same headache from this morning. Thanks.

Default Re: Likelihood of vomiting with high fever?

Periods and cramps will not cause a fever. Could you have a UTI or kidney infection? Could be any bacterial infection in your body, or even strep. If it is a virus, antibiotics won't help, but I would definitely go to the doctor asap to get checked out. I had a kidney infection once that caused me to spike a high fever (105 degrees) and I had to be hospitalized, and yes I v'd. Sometimes high fever cause that in people. If you control your fever with meds, it may decrease your chance of v'ing.... but will not cure what it is that is causing your fever. I recommend medical attention asap!!

The last time my temperature got that high, I was close to vomiting, probably from noro. I quickly took anti-emetics and was able to keep from throwing up. Obviously, you should figure out what the cause of the fever is, but it will do no harm to take anti-emetics.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I did go to the doc yesterday, he said it was a "random virus that's been going around" (whatever that means). He took blood, waiting for results today. Update: I made it through the night very pleasantly. I did wake up a few time but each time I did, I noted that I felt like I was at a normal temp and my headache and cramps were gone. But alas, I'm up now (earlier than I'd like to be but I can't fall back asleep) and my headache and cramps are back. Woo hoo :P