Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Angry RANT: I got sick from expired granola bars!

I felt sick earlier today (didn't v* thank god), napped, felt better, tried to eat a granola bar, and noticed it was crumbly and stale. I checked the expiration date and it was January 2015. I'm so mad at whoever put expired granola bars on the shelf. I had to miss a day of high school today! I know it was them cause i just ate theme 2 days ago for lunch, and was fine. Darn. It feels good to type this all out, thanks for reading!

Default Re: RANT: I got sick from expired granola bars!

I'm confused...the granola bars didn't make you sick two days ago but did today? The shelf life on 99% of items in stores especially dry package stuff is a lot longer than the date. And stale doesn't mean it's bad just that it isn't fresh. And that can happen to items even within the date.

Quote Originally Posted by PsiRockin View Post
    I know it was them cause i just ate theme 2 days ago for lunch, and was fine.
    If you ate them 2 days ago and you were ok then it wasn't them either. They expired in January but if you ate them 2 days ago and you were ok they wouldn't be bad today.
    The granola bars didn't make you sick. It could have been low blood pressure, tired, or you were hungry but didn't feel it.
    Original Register Date w/Old Account: 27 December 2012.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yeah, the grocery store definitely shouldn't have put them on the shelves at full price (they usually send stuff like that to discount grocery stores), but they shouldn't have made you feel bad. I've eaten stuff like that that was past date all the time - might be kinda stale but not spoiled.

not the bars.

Quote Originally Posted by PsiRockin View Post
    I felt sick earlier today (didn't v* thank god), napped, felt better, tried to eat a granola bar, and noticed it was crumbly and stale. I checked the expiration date and it was January 2015. I'm so mad at whoever put expired granola bars on the shelf. I had to miss a day of high school today! I know it was them cause i just ate theme 2 days ago for lunch, and was fine. Darn. It feels good to type this all out, thanks for reading!
    This doesn't make sense. It wasn't the granola bars.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

????????????????????????????

I'm so confused.

I'm sorry for ranting about, I should have known better than to spout my anger on the internet. It was written poorly and in the heat of the moment, but I hope I didn't make anyone think i was a hotheaded freak. this'll be deleted later on

Do you think they mean that they ate some non stale ones two days ago and was ok meaning that the granola bars don't normally make them feel ill and that they've made them feel this time simply because they were stale?

Either way, I'm sure it wasn't the granola bars, there's not s right lot that can go wrong with the ingredients in a granola bar in terms of causing food poisoning or tummy upset. It'll more than likely have been a best before date meaning that while it might be a bit dry and not at its best it won't have actually been dangerous.

When it comes to expiry dates, it's items like milk, cheese, eggs, meat, poultry and fish you want to be more vigilant about ie perishable stuff.

I have no idea what the intent was, but given that it's been some time I assume that this is over and done with. Regardless, granola bars wouldn't cause this, expired or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Syrup View Post
    I have no idea what the intent was, but given that it's been some time I assume that this is over and done with. Regardless, granola bars wouldn't cause this, expired or not.
    Ha, just realised this thread is a week old! Yes, I think it's safe to say the granola bars are not guilty and that the original poster is fine.

I don't think it was the bars, like others have said, you ate them 2 days ago and was fine and you were feeling sick BEFORE you ate one this time so not related. Regardless, I hope you feel better soon!