Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Mothers...how did you get through pregnancy?!

It sounds so stupid haha but when I say to people 'I don't wanna HAVE kids...cos of the hard work with pregnancy' I don't mean labour, weight gain or stretch marks...I mean emet... People never ever ever seem to mention it except for Hollywood stars on interviews and I wonder how you guys go two\three months feeling nauseous....my mum told me recently she had it for TWELVE weeks I mean, wtf is that? I panic the second I feel the slightest n*.

Also I felt a bit strange the other day so I tested out some ginger tea but it made me more bloated so there's no hope there...

PS - I'm not pregnant, but I'm in a relationship which I'm hopeful about and want three kids but HOWWW

Default Re: Mothers...how did you get through pregnancy?!

Quote Originally Posted by thecheesecake17 View Post
    It sounds so stupid haha but when I say to people 'I don't wanna HAVE kids...cos of the hard work with pregnancy' I don't mean labour, weight gain or stretch marks...I mean emet... People never ever ever seem to mention it except for Hollywood stars on interviews and I wonder how you guys go two\three months feeling nauseous....my mum told me recently she had it for TWELVE weeks I mean, wtf is that? I panic the second I feel the slightest n*.

Also I felt a bit strange the other day so I tested out some ginger tea but it made me more bloated so there's no hope there...

PS - I'm not pregnant, but I'm in a relationship which I'm hopeful about and want three kids but HOWWW

Most women make it through pregnancy without any n* or v*. I never had either. Your mom was pregnant a long time ago. Now there's a plethora of medications that can be prescribed if you struggle with morning sickness. Where there's a will there's a way.

I wasn't nauseous my first pregnancy but I was during my second. I don't know if it's the hormones or what but when I am pregnant I am much less anxious. At the end of my second pregnancy I had a condition(we don't know what) that caused severe pain in my right rib cage and awful nausea. I'd lay on the bathroom floor twice a week in so much pain and I was nauseous just about every time I ate, especially the day after an "attack". But somehow I always managed to do what I needed to, including a 2 hour commute on public transport most days. I am absolutely not able to do that when not pregnant. I can barely get on the bus now when I feel perfectly fine.

At the beginning of my pregnancy, I just assumed I would get sick and prepared for it. Certain things really help with pregnancy nausea, like making sure to eat enough, and sucking hard candies. I never did get sick anyways.

I was n for 40 weeks and actually knew I was pg before the test was positive. I also never v. I wore sea bands, ate carefully, etc. I put on 65 lbs, so I was eating, but in the first few months I actually lost weight. It happens. I only had one kid and never wanted another. He is great and I am happy I had him. I followed golden rules:

sea bands 24/7
    lots of crackers
    never get out of bed before eating a few bites of something
    stay hydrated (gatorade fruit punch was THE JAM)
    listen to your cravings. if all you want for a month is cereal and peanut butter, eat it
    if you do end up being a v type, focus on soft foods (my friends swore by things like canteloupe, apple sauce, plain pasta, etc, that were easy to v and didn't taste bad)

and remember - v from pregnancy is SO different than being sick. it isn't pervasive, want to die, fever, etc. it is literally n and v and you feel great and move on. my mom v with both my bro and I, but was fine after 12 weeks and I was sure I was doomed. My SIL v with all hers too...so there is no way to know if you will be or not.

You want kids, so you'll get through it. In the end we always survive and overcome. My mom never got sick with either pregnancies, so everybody is different. I think a lot of emets make it through okay. My friend never got sick either, just had some nausea at times.
    I don't want kids, even without emet. So to me its easy for me. But If I did want them, I wouldn't let this stand in the way. Kids are great, it'll be worth it.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

I've had 5 babies....no vomiting. My last one I was pretty nauseous with...but GINGER ROOT capsules were my savior!

And for me, the nausea was like a dizzy feeling....not like regular nausea at all