Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Is anyone familiar with triple bypass heart surgery??!!!

My husband was recently diagnosed with 3 closed clogged arteries and will be going in for triple bypass surgery. My head is spinning with all the information we've been given about this procedure. It's great that my husband just had minor symptoms (no heart attack), and because he failed his stress test, they recommended he do a heart cath, and this is when all hell broke loose! So now I've got to be his caregiver through this procedure!

Does anyone know how this works? Do you know if "N" and/or "V" is something that happens to patients recovering from this?

Years ago when I had an emergency hysterectomy I refused ALL pain meds because I didn't want to "V". They assured me I wouldn't because they gave me extra phernegan, but I said NO because I didn't want any slight possibilities. My phobia is pretty bad if I endured THAT pain, but I did!

PLEASE HELP! UGGGHHHH! i know this sounds terrible and I love my husband. I don't want to make it all about me, and I DO have xanax on hand if I need it, but I hate taking that because of the addictive potential.

Any information is appreciated!!!!!!

Default Re: Is anyone familiar with triple bypass heart surgery??!!!

It is a very painful ordeal. Your husband may vonit from medications or pain...that's a risk with ANY surgery. Try not to let that hinder your ability to care for him, as he will need you more than ever for the next few weeks. My husband is recovering from a terrible truck wreck, he has had multiple surgeries, and the past few months have been hell. And YES there have been a few vomiting episodes. .mainly due to medications. He is alive and whole again. This has taught me to appreciate what truly matters. Be happy hes gonna be ok! I still fear noro like no other, but NOT vomit associated with surgery and medications. Its not as scary when its life or death...

Thanks for the info - I am trying to get to a logical place of thinking like you. But unfortunately I'm not there yet. Whether it's a cold, the flu, food poisoning, or surgery, V is V'ing, and it's very difficult for me to endure. Yes I will try and your words make perfect sense in the real world, but in the world/head of an emet, everything is topsy turvy and un-nerving - thank you :-(

You will get there! Good luck

Thank you - I appreciate your support and optimism!

My ex-boyfriend had one about 10 years ago now. He did not vomit once, I don't ever remember him even feeling nauseous either.

He was in a high dependency unit for a day or two afterwards and the last thing they want for someone who has had such major surgery and is incapacitated on their back in bed is for them to vomit, so idk for sure but I think they administer anti emetics routinely. My current partner had his appendix out 7 years ago and they have him anti-emetics after that because they said they didn't want him being sick and rupturing his stitches and that was only a keyhole surgery.

It is very painful, I'm sure they've explained the op itself, but the cut through the breastbone so that's the initial big pain, but hugging a rolled up towel or big cushion when you need to cough or sneeze helps. Oddly though, that pain got better before the pain in his leg where they remove one of the arteries to use for the grafts to make the bypasses. He complained about his leg for longer than his chest. If you haven't got one, the get a pouffe or beanbag for him to raise his leg up on when he's sitting down.

Some people do vomit more readily than others so if the worst does happen then you can at least be reassured it's not catching. I'm sure he will be ok though. I know I didn't see anyone else in his ward vomit either, that would have definitely stayed in my memory!

It's a frightening time for everyone involved but he will have a new lease of life once he's recovered. He will need to make some lifestyle changes though to look after his shiny new heart arteries though, my ex didn't and was smoking and drinking again within days of getting home and that was the beginning of the end for us I'm afraid, I was a lot younger than him, and it hurt so much that I was at his bedside 24/7 through the whole thing (heart attack then emergency triple bypass) and yet he couldn't even be arsed to make small - and vital - changes to ensure he was around for longer. Ther was a lot of other stuff too but that was the straw that broke the camels back.

I wish you all the best of luck and you know we're all here for support if you need it xxx

Thank you Paulinek, that helps a LOT! My husband has assured me ( and a God) that this is his wake up call. I'm optimistic and your words have helped A LOT!!!!

Im glad it's helped, and I'm glad he's seen it as a wake up call too, it truly is. Stay positive, it'll be a tough few weeks but it'll all be worth it in the end. Let us know how he gets on xx