Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Emetophobia making school tough

Hey everyone!

I'm away at college and emetophobia is ruining my experience. I wake up feeling sick and go to bed feeling sick. I never know if I'm just nervous or if I'm actually going to be sick. It's worst when I'm driving or in a car/bus.
    Anyone experienced anything similar and can offer advice?

Default Re: Emetophobia making school tough

I'm in college too, and it gets so tough sometimes! I do my utmost to focus on my studies and keep my mind away from thought of sickness. I also try drinking relaxing teas before bed. Be sure to take advantage of whatever counseling and psych services your institution may have to offer!!

Default Re: Emetophobia making school tough

I have had similar issues. I have to commute 40 minutes to my university, making it harder since the thought of being so far from my house makes me more nervous.

But yea, school alone can be a stressful thing, but then to add on a fear like ours makes it worse.

Like YellowBeads said, teas can be very helpful. I like to drink camomile tea in the morning as it soothes my stomach and it is calming. I have found getting plenty of sleep and drinking lots of water throughout the day also helps. I have discovered essential oils like lavender, peppermint, and lemon are very helpful. You should do some research on it if you're not familiar with oils. They help me a lot!

As a student, planning out enough time in your day to de stress and relax is crucial. Limit the caffeine as it can make stress and axiety worse. Don't over-work yourself. These things should cut down on stress which should help the stomach issues that come along with stress.