Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Noro outbreak help me please

help there's a norovirus outbreak in schools where i live, big enough to make the news, more than 100 people got sent home yesterday from it, and vomiting is my biggest worst phobia, i'm so scared, i don't want to get it and i cleaned everything but i still ate with unwashed hands before i heard about it this morning help me help me

i just want to die no more noro no more nausea no more vomit no more pain no more fear, sounds pretty good right about now

already several people at my school have been catching it but something of this magnitude on the news means it's real and i don't want it

Default Re: Noro outbreak help me please

Are you in Person County, North Carolina? Huge outbreak there. Stay strong.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes and I just want to die I don't want to be here

My kids are young and have gone through several noro outbreaks at school in the last 5 years, and they are usually fine. Just because it is going around does not mean you'll catch it. Do your best to wash your hands, and please talk to someone if you are feeling suicidal.

I can't talk to someone about it, my mother is already stressed and she'd hate me forever if she knew. Also, I have 5 younger siblings, none of whom wash their hands when they're done in the bathroom (I mean, technically they do, but really they just squirt a bit of soap on one palm and rinse it off, if they do it "well" they stick both hands under the water for a second then use the bathroom hand towel). Whatever germs they bring home from the 3 other schools they go to get spread all over. Plus, my mom runs an at home daycare sort of thing. I'm literally in the prime spot for it......

Relax, Older. Just because you get noro doesn't mean that you will puke. Please read my Vomiting FAQ and learn ways of keeping from vomiting even if it's on the edge of happening. You are stronger than noro. You have the spirit of emet! http://emetophobia.byethost15.com/vomiting.html
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

This sounds like a horrible dream. But I agree with those above me. Remember, the fact that you're around a major noro outbreak doesn't mean you'll actually get it. Also, not everyone who gets sick with noro ends up vomiting. But listen, try and relax a little bit. Try to speak rationally to yourself as best you can. And remember that this will pass.

I would feel the same as you. I feel so sorry for u and I'm so anxious to go to uni this winter in case people are ill there.
    But here are my tips to protect yourself from getting the virus;
    1. Alcohol gel does NOT kill noro, you need to use anti bacterial soap and hot water. Rub the soap into your hands, between your fingers etc for 30 seconds and rince in as hot water as you can stand.
    2. After sanitising hands don't turn off taps or open doors with your hands.. Use your sleeves or a paper towel instead - (I'd only suggest going to this extreme if you're about to eat) ..so if you're about to eat, sanitise your hands and do not touch anything else apart from your food.. (Railings, doors, backs of chairs etc)
    If you're not about to eat go ahead and touch these things like normal but never EVER put touch your face!! As long as you don't touch your face you'll be fine (even if the noro virus is on your hands)
    3.if someone is sick near you or in the same room, cover your mouth and nose with your jumper/a clean scarf (anything you can - except your sleeve if you've been using it to open doors! - remember this) and leave the room with your face covered. - go change your clothes as soon as possible and sanitise your hands as above without touching your face. Just remember to never ever touch your face!!
    4. Try and avoid using the public toilets in school unless utterly urgent!! Maybe you could sneak into an unused disabled toilet or something if possible.. Just try avoid going where possible. Maybe there's a shop around the corner that you could use their loo at lunch or something? - don't touch handles in any public toilet, put toilet tissue on seat before sitting and flush toilet with your feet.
    5. If someone in your house gets sick make a plan.. Where could you go and stay that would feel safe to you? A relatives? A friends? ..make a 'safety' plan in case the worst happens in your home.. Having this plan will make you feel like you can cope if it does happen and it is also making you feel in control and not helpless in all of this
    6. Prepare and cook all of your own food.. After sanitising hands as above. I'd even spray the taps in your own home with anti bacterial spray (if your siblings don't wash their hands!) that way you know your food won't get contaminated. - also prepare food on a clean plate, not a work top!
    7. If after all of this you do get it (which is very unlikely!!) then breathe deep and repeat over and over in your head 'I accept this. I can handle this' ..accepting the situation instead of trying to fight it will make you calmer and handle it better (I have tried and tested this and it was best to try relax than panic!) ..maybe if you're feeling like you'd rather be dead then visit your gp and ask for some anti-emetics, just in case.. If you stress that it's getting you down and making you feel out of control to the point of thinking about ending your life then he will give you the drugs. Don't take them unless you feel you are going to get ill. They work wonderfully at stopping you get sick.

I know some people won't agree with these measures I've listed to prevent noro, my therapist definitely doesn't agree with doing these 'safety behaviours', he says it makes the anxiety worse.. But what does he know, he's never been terrified of this!! I think the anxiety is worse if you feel you've been exposed than if you do these things. But as soon as the noro out break is over (like a few weeks after its all ok again) then drop these 'safety behaviours' or you might get ocd !

Remember, the only way to catch a stomach bug is if vomit or diarrhoea particles get into your mouth (or nose) ..you can't catch it from simply just going into a room where it smells like vomit,, the 'splash' of being near someone who is being sick is how u catch it, or getting those germs on your hands and touching your face/mouth etc. so as long as you clean your hands like I said, prepare all your own food and don't touch your face you will be okay!!
    My mum works in a nursery and last year ALL her 30 kids got sick all at once, then all her staff got sick.. But mum said whenever she was dealing with a kid who was sick she covered her face, wore gloves to clean it up, sanitised her hands thoroughly and never touched her face. She did all this because she was scared to bring it home to me.. And she was the ONLY person who didn't get sick in that whole school. So these methods will keep you safe x please talk to your family about how you feel and ask them to be more careful with washing their hands for u. I'm sure they'll be understanding.. You could even just talk to you mum and ask her to make the other kids wash their hands properly as soon as they get home. Just make a plan that feels safe to you and you'll feel less worried xx I hope this helped.
    Don't be scared xx