Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I have been a social smoker on and off since high school. In college I would smoke when we went out to the bars (pretty much every weekend) and sometimes I would just smoke off the balcony with my roommate because we enjoyed it!

Once I graduated, my anxiety got VERY bad and I felt too sick all the time and basically quit drinking smoking and eating for a little more thanthree years.

All the sudden in the last month or so, my desire to smoke has come back with a VENGEANCE and I am so scared I might be getting addicted! I know it is a HORRIBLE habit and I never want to feel like i can't control my wanting for one.

One of my friends just moved back to town a couple months ago so we all went out to this bar and it was like old times, everyone was smoking (everyone pretty much quit after college) so of course I did too. Felt like crap the next day and thought ok, that is out of my system. But then, a week or so ago, i was home sick, and i guess I was bored and feeling rebellious (cuttin'work and hubby not around, LOL) and all i could think about was smoking. I went to the gas station and boughta pack of cigs and the adrenaline was going crazy, I broke the speed limit so I could get home and smoke!! I smoked like 6 of them that day and finished the pack in a week. Vowed no more after that, but I had a party Sat night and smoked again, and now I want to some more!!!

Long story, but my question is, how easy is it for you to be addicted, or do you consider yourself addicted? In the past I could always just stop doing it and not look back, but all the sudden I'mn craving it. maybe cause it's cold outside (always makes me want to smoke) and hubby is gone a lot and I'm bored...not really sure, but I'm getting worried because i am normally a very health conscious person.

Hey mjewell--

Now I am no longer a smoker so I have experience in this. I started when I was 18. I met a guy and quit for him for 2 years (so stupid). I started smoking, just like you said, to be rebellious after he dumped me. I also got pierced and tattooed because he never approve of my wanting to do those things...Ew. Control freak, anyhow I startedsmoking again and didn't quit til March of 2004. I don't want to tell you not to smoke because that will just spur you on (Like telling a kid he cant have a cookie before dinner, he's gonna want it 10x more!) Recently I have been DYING fora smoke...I don't know why! So I know how you feel but unfortunately I have no advise. When I last quit, I wasn't even trying! I justed stopped one day...actually it was the day I left for vegas...weird, huh? I dont know what to tell ya, hon. I wish you wouldn't. Oh PS: I smoked a cigar last month when I was in the dominican republic and I felt like crap the whole next day!
    instant messenger-aggiecrafts

Everything happens for a reason

Hi beadgirl -

Yeah, believe me, I don't want to either but for some reason i can't get it outta my head. It's weird how for the last 10 years i can just smoke one night and then never have the desire to do it for another 6 months or even 3 years, and now I'm thinking about it every day!!

I guess I'll just practice willpower and ignore the cravings for a while longer then hopefully it will go away. Thank God my hubby is so against it or I would probably be addicted by now.

mjewell - I used to be a smoker and managed to give up when I
    started trying for my daughter. I think that was the inputus (?) i
    needed, thinking of another being inside me, rather than just thinking
    of myself for a change.
    Before that I had tried quitting on several occasion and always went
    back to it at some point.
    Its always the worse time when you go to a pub and your friends are
    smoking around you. But having a drink (i.e getting a bit tipsy) is
    disastrous, coz you tend not to care so much, and let your inhibitions
    go!!!
    I agree that you should try and ignore the cravings for a bit longer
    and see if they lessen. But you really need to be in the right frame
    of mind to actually quit, doing it half-heartedly will never work.
    Good luck
    !!!
    Laugh, quick, before you cry....

I quit smoking about 3 years ago...I was told it made anxiety a lot worse...anywho...I dont think you should start up again! I always get these weird cravings if anyone around me is smoking..its so weird. I always stop myself from smoking though..even though I get crazy urges too. I just stuff my mouth with some gum! Its a hard habit to kick...but its best if you do! You wont feel as bad either! Smoking just mkaes you sick and feel s***ty. Stop now before you do get addicted again!
    *Mandi*

You know they used to (and may still) sell smokeless cigarettes at the
    drugstore and those might come in handy if you're feeling pressure to
    smoke at a bar or just for enjoyment. Not that inhaling burning paper
    is great for you, but I'm sure it's better than the real thing. Maybe
    some other things to try are to take deep breaths and drink some water
    when you feel cravings. I know smoking is enjoyable but knowing that
    the tobacco companies make them so horribly addictive should be reason
    enough to quit.

I am definitely not one to give advice about this...but i can honestly sympathize with you. Nicotine is a DRUG..an ADDICTIVE one at that! I am a smoker. Started at age 13 until i was 19, then i quit cold turkey and it was easy! Well...13 years later i started up again, thanks to excessive depression, anxiety, and a "who gives a sh_t" attitude!! Now it's been 7 years again that i've been smoking. I HATE WITH A PASSION what it's doing to me (healthwise), but i'm addicted!! I want to quit so bad that i can TASTE it!! Unfortunately i live with a CHIMNEY so quitting will be all the more difficult with a smoker in the house. I even have a box of "Commit Losenges" here, but i read their pamphlet inside the box and i didn't like the possible side effects it can give you...as if inhaling carbon monoxide, nicotine, and arsenic is any better. (yes, i said arsenic, believe it or not, that is in cigarettes!!) I feel smoking is the 2nd most EVIL thing there is (next to Emetophobia).

PLEASE, hun!!! Try your hardest NOT to start up again! You're body with thank you for it!!!

Paula
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Yes, smoking is a BAD thing. I can say this b/c I do smoke. I started when I was 11 (yes, eleven), quit for a few months when I was 16, started again, and haven't stopped since. I will be 29 in May, that is 18 years, my friends, 18 F***ING YEARS! I have tried to quit, many times, to no avail. Don't start again, b/c this is addictive. Nicotine is more addictive than HEROINE! Think about that one for a while!

Crystal
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

Quote Originally Posted by meercat
    I am definitely not one to give advice about this...but i can honestly sympathize with you. Nicotine is a DRUG..an ADDICTIVE one at that! I am a smoker. Started at age 13 until i was 19, then i quit cold turkey and it was easy! Well...13 years later i started up again, thanks to excessive depression, anxiety, and a "who gives a sh_t" attitude!! Now it's been 7 years again that i've been smoking. I HATE WITH A PASSION what it's doing to me (healthwise), but i'm addicted!! I want to quit so bad that i can TASTE it!! Unfortunately i live with a CHIMNEY so quitting will be all the more difficult with a smoker in the house. I even have a box of "Commit Losenges" here, but i read their pamphlet inside the box and i didn't like the possible side effects it can give you...as if inhaling carbon monoxide, nicotine, and arsenic is any better. (yes, i said arsenic, believe it or not, that is in cigarettes!!) I feel smoking is the 2nd most EVIL thing there is (next to Emetophobia).

PLEASE, hun!!! Try your hardest NOT to start up again! You're body with thank you for it!!!

Paula

"Depression, anxiety and who gives a sh*t attitude..." - that pretty much sums up how I feel when I want to smoke.

Well yesterday I was craving a ciggy all day but i went home and worked out instead! If I just ignore it for a few more days I'll be ok. I am just going through this strange phase of wanting to smoke after 3 years of never wanting to get near one. it's weird.

They say its take 7 years for all traces of nicotine to completely
    leave your body. It wouldn't surprise me if the cunning little buggers
    that are still hiding in your arteries are sending out last ditch calls for
    reinforcements, before they disappear once and for all! Don't let
    them win! BE STRONG!!!
    Laugh, quick, before you cry....

Wow, if that's true then it certainly makes sense why I would want one after all this time.

YOWZA!!! That sucks knowing that! But i DO know also that the SECOND you stop smoking, your lungs begin repairing themselves, they begin shedding the tar covered lining immediately! That's why ppl notice that the first few weeks after quitting, they have a worse cough than they did WHILE they smoked. The lungs are doing their job :-) We only scew it up because we'll light another one shortly after we snuffed out the first one...oh addictions SUUUUCK!!!
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Yeah, and for nervous anxious people like us it is easy to get addicted to bad stuff. How come healthy stuff like broccoli or going to the gym isn't addictive? LOL.