Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Shared drink

Default Shared drink

Yesterday i accidentally drank out of my nephews cup with a straw (one sip). Today I found out he was sickest night 3x (v*) and I'm scared I'm going to get sick. Is it possible? Freaking out!

Default Re: Shared drink

Hi, no it isn't possible. My therapist told me a lot about catching these bugs (he thought being properly informed would help me panic less!), but in short, unless he was actually sick at the time (as in had literally just been sick), then no, you're safe!
    If you had been around him when he was actually sick and shared his drink or touched him and then touched your face/mouth or hasn't washed your hands, then you'd possibly get ill.
    But because you were around him when he was feeling well, not a chance!! I promise you.
    Besides, it could have been something he ate later on that day.. Or kids just get sick all the time, as their immune system strengthens they get sick less. You, as an adult, will already have a fully developed immune system, quite capable of fighting off anything a little kid couldn't anyway.
    Don't worry xx

Ps. I had to clean a hotel room at work last week where a kid had been sick.. And I didn't get ill that was way more exposure than sharing a drink with a kid that wasn't ill yet.
    I hope this has helped x

That helps so much! I didn't get sick, aside from anxiety stomach. You're a braver soul that I am. Thanks for the reassurance!!