Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm so scared!! I just got my school events list for next term and as I chose History as one of my options to continue with in year 10, I have to go to a hospital!!!! First we're going to see an old ward and operating theatre and then the new ones!!!!! So we can see how they've changed!!!! WARDS!!!! With real live ill people who will almost definitely v*!!!! I can't not go it's compulsary and I can't pull out of history, it's too late!!! What should I do?? Any help or advice will be very much appreciated, or anyone who wants to chat.Edited by: x hannah x

Any advice at all...

I dont know a whole lot of what ya doing, BUT most places like that wont expose a patient barfing, at least from what Ive been around.
    Now where\'s that crazy sheep at? Here sheeeepy sheeepy!

Hey!! I'm sure you will be fine!!!

If you do go to a hospital, stick with a friend, and ask her to comfort you if you feel uneasy!

It's not happening now, so don't panic!!! And don't change your subject jsut because of that!!

hannah,maybe u could go and have a word with the teacher that is taking u to the hospital and just explain that u hate hospitals,as alot of people do and thats not because of out phobia ,u don't have to explain why,but if u feel comfortable saying why then i'm sure they will keep an eye out for u to make sure u are ok.Maybe stay at the back of the group so that if anything does happen that u are not there on top of it.....I'm not going to say that nothing will happen as a hospital is there for a reason (sick people) but not always (as in Vomit!!! )But i wouldn't have thought that they would take u into a ward when they know that someone is sick (as in Vomit).....and the theatre will not have sick people as they will be asleep.And i wouldn't have thought u'd be able to be in a theartre when theres an operation going on .If things get a bit much then if u are at the back of the group u can always walk away descretley and get some fresh air,if anyone ask just say that it was bit hot in there for u and needed some air,and that won't look strange as hospitals are always warm....Take some water with u and chewing gum so u can take your mind off it......Me personally would havea word with the teacher and explain that u really want to take this subject but this is what worrysyou !!!!!! i.e. sick people in a hospital.....don't worry about it until u get nearer to the time as u will just make yourself sick with worry.....I hope this help,i've waffled on a bit

take care vicky xx

Hannah,

I went to work on a medical ward of a hospital 12 hours a day for two weeks, and it took a lot for me to see someone throw up. Since then, I work 2 days a week as a volunteer for the past 15 months, and I have never seen anyone sick since. I doubt you'd be in any danger of seeing anything just walking through on a history lesson! If you're worried about germs, there won't be anything airborne there, and just keep your hands clean. I've never caught anything at the hospital either, even during 2 flu seasons.

Don't worry!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks for the replies everybody! I'm a bit less worried now. I think I'll talk to my teach just so she knowsbut I'm going to try and go. For exposure therapy if nothing else.

Well done, thats a brave decision to make
    \"You are beautiful, no matter what they say \"
    \"Too many Years, fighting back tears, why can\'t the past just die? Try to forgive, teach me to live, give me the strength to try\"

mm hmm. i know i spoke to you about this in chat... but i think ur def. doing the right thing. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

my mother once said that i shud get voluntary work in a hospital ... wud be good exposure therapy. hmmmm.

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

Hi Hannah

Thats something we can both work with together lol. I've chosen history and geography to start in year 10 next year so i'll definitely have trips in both subjects. If it is a hospital, im taking the view that if its old, less people will go to it. If you keep stirring about it until you go, you're going to work yourself up until you actually get to the stage when you panic where you're there. Im currently practising using exposure techniques - pictures, films, sounds etc. That way, I know i'll be prepared and when/if someone does v*, i'll be prepared and it won't be anything new to me. If you ever want to talk about year 10, GCSEs, SATs etc., my MSN/Email passport is [email protected]
    ISAIAH 41:10

Awwwwthanks Chris! I notice you don't have an avatar. Would you like me to find you one? I love doing that! lolEdited by: x hannah x

It's a partying dog!

You could find me one, Hannah! I don't have an avatar either![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]</font>

Ok! I should start a business!

How about this? If you don't like it tell me.

I just changed my avatar too! I'm totallyobsessed!!!

Hey, Hannah it's all pretty much has been said and I'm very glad you are going baout it the brave way. Once you talk to your teacher also you will probably releive yourself of some stress because you will know that she knows you aren't just skipping out if you need a break when you go. Also like sage said the chances of you actually seeing anyone get sick on the day you happen to be there is pretty slim, especially sicne it is a school tour. Plus the hospital wouldnt' want to interupt the people who are really sick byt bringing in classes os anyone you do see will probably not be the worse off bunch,. Anyhow it's good you are doing it even tho you are scared, you will teach yourself how stron you really are! Good luck![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

I have a question, what about history and geography requires you to go to a hospital? Im sorry but that doesnt make sense to me! Like what kind of history is this?

We're going to see how they've changed over the years or something.

yeah... if your doing like medecine or care as part of your history course you go visit a hospital to see what they are like now compared to what they were like before.

i never went to visit a hospital wen i did history GCSE, but when i did history below the age of 15, we studied a lot of medecine and stff... so it is relevant.

Jen xxxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

MSN:

Yeah Hannah - can u find me an avatar. that space is annoying and i didnt know how to find an avatar lol. but if u cud find me 1, that would be great thanks!!!
    ISAIAH 41:10

Here you go! It's a partying dog! If you like it just do this:
    <UL>
    <LI>
    <DIV align=center>Right click the dog</DIV></LI>
    <LI>
    <DIV align=center>Select save picture as on the drop down list</DIV></LI>
    <LI>
    <DIV align=center>Go to your profile where you choose an avatar</DIV></LI>
    <LI>
    <DIV align=center>Select upload avatar and it should be there.</DIV></LI>[/list]

Hey Hannah - can you find me any other funny ones that kind of look like an intellectual or a psychologist or something? Maybe even a "wise old sage" look. But funny.

(I'm getting tired of my head blowing up - lol)
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

How about this?

He's a wise owl!

can't see it Hannah =|

just thort i'd let ya know incase sage cannot see it either..

Jen xxx

MSN:

I've got to this topic very late!!! But i'm glad u r going through with it. I'm currently trying to be shown round a hospital for exposure purposes. I'm sure they wont take ur class to anywhere were people are deffentaly going to v* that would be nasty for any human!! They will probably take you to a ward for day patients or people who have been in for a few weeks and are going home. I hope it all goes ok.

what do you mean Izzy? your being shown round a hospital for exposure purposes? sorry if im being dumb... how are u doing that?

Jen xxx

MSN:

Hey! Didn't have time to read all the responses, so I don't know if this has been said yet - I really doubt that you will see anyone v* at all. I have volunteered at a hospital for 2 years now (going into patients' rooms and everything), and I have never seen anyone v*. Here are some reasons why you won't: first of all, they probably won't be taking you intoa patient's room. I can't imagine the thought process behind bringing an entire class of 14 year olds into a sick person's room! Second, they likely won't be taking you to the floors where people have infectious diseases. They don't want you to come in contact with these people, and these people most definitely wouldn't want 30 school kids congregating around their hospital bed! Believe me, I am just as afraid of seeing someone v* as you are, so the only reason I continue voluteering at the hospital is because I know the chance of seeing it is so remote. I think you'll find it really interesting so I hope you don't back out! I wish my school incorporated something like that into my booooring history class! Let us know how it goes!!
    No life is wasted; the only time we waste is the time we spend thinking we are alone.

Hannah u'll be fine! As ppl have already
    sed, I doubt u'll be taken to wards where u will see
    those that are really really ill.

I done History in Years 10 + 11 and our course was on
    Medicine too (altho we never visited a hospital). It
    really is a wicked subject and much more exciting than
    studying about Civil Wars and stuff.
    I'm sure u'll enjoy it!

Rachel xxx</font>

*deleted*Edited by: x hannah x

*deleted*Edited by: x hannah x