Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Really Really Scared and Struggling Right Now

Hi everyone

I haven't been on here for a long time. But I really need some support and understanding right now.

My 4 year old (almost 5) started primary school a couple of weeks ago and already there is a sickness bug going around. A few have been off with it in her class. I am absolutely terrified she will be next. And my hubby is away all this weekend so it's bound to happen I know it.

I just want to cry. I'm trembling so bad.

Tracey x

Default Re: Really Really Scared and Struggling Right Now

I am so sorry you're experiencing this. We all know the panic too well! First of all, remember that these little viruses go around schools all of the time. The MAJORITY of kids don't catch it when they sweep through. Think about all of the times you were in school and kids were coming down with stuff that you avoided. The chance that she'll become sick is slim, the chance that she'll become ill while your husband is away is even slimmer!

But, the best thing you can do for yourself is to plan for it. So, what if it happens? What would you do? You'd put a movie on, grab a bucket and wait it out. We've all done it and survived! It's not fun, but it's also not the worst thing in the world. Look at it for what it REALLY is and not the big scary monster we've made up in our minds. A minor inconvenience. Yes, it's gross, yes it's a drag but it's not dangerous and it lasts for a few short hours. So, plan it out. What movie would you put in? Where would you go? Plan it out in your head and picture yourself handling it WELL, not feeling scared or worried. Picture yourself caring for your daughter, laughing at a silly movie and having the confidence to make it through. THAT would be the reality, not what you've constructed in your head.

We're here for you! xoxo

Default Re: Really Really Scared and Struggling Right Now

I totally agree with syrup. I have started to realise the fear of it happening is much worse than when it is happening.
    I know from experience how easy it is to get carried away in the panic of 'a stomach bug going round' but most of the time she won't catch it and when she does you WILL be able to cope.