Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default What happened to IES?

is it just me or is it not very active here at the moment? did lots of people get cured? was there a mass migration to another site??

there used to be threads and replies going around clockwork.
    Last edited by kyle1989; 09-19-2015 at 12:55 AM.

Default Re: What happened to IES?

We need you to post more!
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kyle,
    The site was down for a few days in July, and there has been a semi-feud with another site which has also been off and online. A lot of people migrated to the private Facebook group. I can fill you in more but that should be by PM.

we are just ebbing and flowing. I actually think we have been more active the last few weeks than we had been. nothing abnormal from what I've seen over my 4 years here.

Oooooo a fb group is a good idea! Although I don't want people knowing how extra emet I am online haha

I was thinking the same! Would love to be notified if there was a Facebook site as it would be a lot easier .. This website isn't great on my phone! Like you said though, would not want everyone to know what's wrong with me!! Haha

Facebook itself and my facebook friends already know too much about me. I don't want emet coming up in that world.

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    Facebook itself and my facebook friends already know too much about me. I don't want emet coming up in that world.
    Doug. Its a secret group meaning to participate in it will not appear on your timeline to your other friends who are not part of the group. I am an Admin on that facebook group

It does actually appear sometimes though one of my friends texted me about it the other day, lol. It sometimes comes up in a sidebar suggesting groups for you to join, saying something like "Kailyn is a member of International Emetophobia Society". The IES group is set to Closed as opposed to Secret, meaning it can still pop up sometimes although not usually on your own profile. But the problem with making it secret is that then nobody who is looking for the support can find it... Closed means that people who are not members of the group cannot see the posts, and it's not listed on your timeline.

I'm a member of the FB group but I'm also in support groups for IBS (same privacy settings as the IES one), and that's the one my friend texted me about. She said it was suggested that she join that group because I'm a member lol.

Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by JadeNight View Post
    Doug. Its a secret group meaning to participate in it will not appear on your timeline to your other friends who are not part of the group. I am an Admin on that facebook group
    I have gotten very paranoid about Facebook. It knows too many things about too many people. I see other friends linked to FB groups that I know they wouldn't choose to let someone know they are in.

Basically, if you have a group of FB friends who "like" a certain thing, or who are in a particular group, FB will guess -- often correctly -- that you also like that thing and are part of that group.

After I joined ESG (group on Facebook) I started getting suggestions to join other Emetophobia groups.
    Original Register Date w/Old Account: 27 December 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    I have gotten very paranoid about Facebook. It knows too many things about too many people. I see other friends linked to FB groups that I know they wouldn't choose to let someone know they are in.

Basically, if you have a group of FB friends who "like" a certain thing, or who are in a particular group, FB will guess -- often correctly -- that you also like that thing and are part of that group.
    Then the groups arent set to secret. The point of the secret setting is to avoid that

Quote Originally Posted by jkl81 View Post
    Kyle,
    The site was down for a few days in July, and there has been a semi-feud with another site which has also been off and online. A lot of people migrated to the private Facebook group. I can fill you in more but that should be by PM.
    PM Sent.

I just joined a bunch of Facebook groups, but its kind of confusing which ones are IES based, the impression i have here is several groups have been formed by IES members

I am part of a few private Emet groups on facebook, which seem to be popular. Im sure theres IES memebers there, but idk who is who...Im just on facebook more than here. I dont make posts to them, but I reply to others a lot. But I am the same way here I guess haha If I post, I usually feel dumb an hour later for freaking out and delete it lol
    I think this is pretty normal though, we fluctuate here. But unless people are panicking/anxious theres no reason to come here. We don't have a lot of "regular" conversations going. If there were more general posts, the site might see more action. That's just my opinion though. I know it's an EMET board, but still. Id like to know a bit more about people on here than just their fears. I'm kinda glad when it's slow, makes me feel like people are doing well.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

I was on FB a few years back for a month and was horrified at the accuracy of its friend suggestions and group suggestions. I hadn't even entered my high school and don't list where I live and I searched on my phone, where locations services are turned off. I deleted my account and never looked back. I do not trust anything on there - private or not. Think about it - they provide a free service to you in exchange for what - your entire life, secrets, photos, access to contacts, work, school...no, thank you. I am fine with IES and my therapist.

Facebook groups definitely take away traffic from forums, it was the same on a baby club forum i was on, someone started a facebook one and within weeks the posts on the original forum dwindled which was a pity. I can see the pro's and cons of both really, I am a member of the IES facebook group run by - aww brainblank I can't remember her name....think it had witch in the title on here - anyway, I think facebook groups possibly get a faster response due to notifications on peoples phones, but what i prefer about this forum is that everything is categorised by thread so it is easy to keep up with threads you are subscribed to, but on facebook that involves a LOT of scrolling back! or you can search a particular subject, also I know here it is properly private. I very very rarely post in the facebook version to the extent it probably isn't even worth my while being a member on there tbh and after reading about how they're not as secure as I thought, i will be thinking again about that.

Quote Originally Posted by kyle1989 View Post
    is it just me or is it not very active here at the moment? did lots of people get cured? was there a mass migration to another site??

there used to be threads and replies going around clockwork.
    PS - in response to your original question Kyle, there used to be a group of us that were all quite tight knit - not to say there weren't rows because there were - but I think we all knew a fair bit about each other, even on a semi-anonymous level, so it was more chatty and close feeling, but then the forum changed to the vbulletin version that it is now and I don't know why but all of a sudden there were a lot of new members, then came the trolls, posting grotty vomit pictures etc which progressed to elaborate posts from multiple identities that turned out to be from one person winding everyone up and then a big divide happened between cured/non-cured emets that was upsetting to see, and I won't go into all the ins and outs of how I feel about that as it would probably start something, but suffice to say I just decided to bow out for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by paulinek View Post
    What i prefer about this forum is that everything is categorised by thread so it is easy to keep up with threads you are subscribed to
    Me too, i prefer forums, everything is organised and and has breathing room, Facebook everything is dense and compact and things get "old" quickly.

PS - in response to your original question Kyle, there used to be a group of us that were all quite tight knit - not to say there weren't rows because there were - but I think we all knew a fair bit about each other, even on a semi-anonymous level, so it was more chatty and close feeling
    I remember those times very well pauline

this was my home for emetophobia support, i joined here in 2008 when i was on the brink of a full-blown relapse. I had just been S* in august that year, from alcohol but i had no anxiety or panic because i was heavily intoxicated at the time! (after i sobered up i thought i was over my little fear i had all my life) then 2 weeks later i ate something that my body didn't like and had intense nausea for an afternoon - the anxiety and panic was right there, i knew i wasn't over my fear. It was tempting for those 48 hours to go back to where i came from years prior - being anorexic and not eating. But i kept my strength some how. I talked to some people in a chat room about it and one of them happened to be a therapist, thats when they told me what i was suffering with. That was the day i googled it and found IES.

For about a year i was very active here, but i was recovered. I wanted to stay active here but i felt alienated - i grew fatigued by repeating the same advice and wisdom for everyone who was having a panic attack over nausea. There wasn't much life or room outside of that to remain active here i felt. What killed my activity especially was meeting my ex here whom i came to be deeply involved with for years. She was my support all that time. That is over now and i have no support - then recently i felt nauseas and i came right back here to find things quite different and not as active as i remembered it.

To be honest, i cried when i came back here to find it unrecognisable, it was that one extra thing that i felt i had lost. i feel like I've lost so much - friends, my ex, my life, and then IES. i'm so tired of everything changing and disappearing. Those times here we were like a little family. I'm sure there were other close knit people here supporting each other though since.
    Last edited by kyle1989; 09-21-2015 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyle1989 View Post
    To be honest, i cried when i came back here to find it unrecognisable, it was that one extra thing that i felt i had lost. i feel like I've lost so much - friends, my ex, my life, and then IES. i'm so tired of everything changing and disappearing. Those times here we were like a little family. I'm sure there were other close knit people here supporting each other though since.
    Aww that's so sad Kyle Big hugs. I think even people who haven't joined Facebook emetophobia groups have added each other as friends and contact each other directly for help rather than post on here, I have been doing that for years with EJB199, we've even met up at McDonalds when she was passing through Yorkshire a few years ago, so she kind of replaced the need to come on here plus I've been doing ok, although I've been having more and more issues with emet lately and I don't want to be bugging her as she is still doing well. I miss the days of you, driftinggoddess, JKL, Ankitchens, Marie, jwavrek, sdfl, virgowitch, harmonygirl and many many more who's names I can't recall off the top of my head right now. I am friends with some of them on facebook, and it'd be great if they could all come back and start posting actively again, but maybe they don't want or need to, idk. Maybe we need to move on, post more regularly ourselves and get to know a new bunch of people and get that community feel back on IES again. I'm just about to go home from work now but I'll be back online at home later. Chin up and hope you're ok xxx

Aww that's so sad Kyle Big hugs. I think even people who haven't joined Facebook emetophobia groups have added each other as friends and contact each other directly for help rather than post on here, I have been doing that for years with EJB199, we've even met up at McDonalds when she was passing through Yorkshire a few years ago, so she kind of replaced the need to come on here plus I've been doing ok, although I've been having more and more issues with emet lately and I don't want to be bugging her as she is still doing well. I miss the days of you, driftinggoddess, JKL, Ankitchens, Marie, jwavrek, sdfl, virgowitch, harmonygirl and many many more who's names I can't recall off the top of my head right now. I am friends with some of them on facebook, and it'd be great if they could all come back and start posting actively again, but maybe they don't want or need to, idk. Maybe we need to move on, post more regularly ourselves and get to know a new bunch of people and get that community feel back on IES again. I'm just about to go home from work now but I'll be back online at home later. Chin up and hope you're ok xxx
    You never know what you've got until its gone as they say

I'm glad Emma is doing well, i don't know why i'm such a sucker for the past. complete sucker for memories/nostalgia.
    I agree, we need to move on, i think progressing away from IES is positive. It would be unrealistic of me to want the same people to be here again, i just hope that if i invest into the forums again, i can make some new friends and build a new support network. I should've never abandoned IES in the first place really, but i did feel alienated. I think you're right

i'm glad you're working still, do you happen to be a receptionist at the same place?

could someone tell me how to join the secret FB group? thank you

Here is the link! https://www.facebook.com/groups/113447145388670/

Just be warned that it's Closed, not Secret. So although it doesn't appear on your profile, it may pop up in suggestions for your friends. But they can not see your posts unless they request to join the group!

There are also a couple more (and probably more out there);

https://www.facebook.com/groups/emet...asupportgroup/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/412853615474996/

They all have the same privacy settings.

Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

I miss the days of you, driftinggoddess, JKL, Ankitchens, Marie, jwavrek, sdfl, virgowitch, harmonygirl and many many more who's names I can't recall off the top of my head right now.
    Me too! Those were the people I remember when I first joined this site. You were here as well and you were all so kind and welcoming when I first joined, as I'd been suffering for a long time but had only just found out it was a "real" phobia! It's such a different place now. People here are lovely but it's always sad when you drift away from other people, online or in real life. I miss the sense of community I felt here for sure! Remember the old layout? I think it was kind of green or brown, or yellow... lol I can picture it but can't explain it!

Quote Originally Posted by kaiilyn_23 View Post
    Me too! Those were the people I remember when I first joined this site. You were here as well and you were all so kind and welcoming when I first joined, as I'd been suffering for a long time but had only just found out it was a "real" phobia! It's such a different place now. People here are lovely but it's always sad when you drift away from other people, online or in real life. I miss the sense of community I felt here for sure! Remember the old layout? I think it was kind of green or brown, or yellow... lol I can picture it but can't explain it!
    Yes it was brown with a coffee cup at the top and previus to that it was in a completely different format and you could choose what colour you wanted, I think I had pepto-bismol pink lol. Looks like some of the oldies are still about which is nice. I remembered some more old names, Hippychick, Bonnie - although that wasn't her username, turbokinetic, paintedwings, cinque, xglitterx and sbgood.

I don't post as much in the summer, because honestly, my emet doesn't act up as much. But now that Noro is going around hardcore in my region, I find myself coming back to IES for the support