Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Intense pressure in throat, mouth and jaw

So, three times today now I've had an episode of tighteness and pressure about my jaw/mouth/throat area. The pressure in my throat made me feel like I was going to be sick, so naturally I felt a bit nervous. I was doing well in fighting it but then I had severe trouble swallowing the second time around, which is my one way ticket to panicking, as that's something I seriously associate with getting sick (the last few times I was sick I couldn't swallow). The pressure in my jaw and mouth get so bad I have trouble opening my mouth.
    Anyone else experience this? I was doing so well up until now. I've been trying to fight it back without the help of medication with deep breathing but it's difficult.
    I had experienced this before, but only when I was having a depersonalization episode. It's never happened outside of it until today and it's terrifying.
    Last edited by Maige; 09-30-2015 at 07:41 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The knowledge that you one day will conquer this fear, it fills you with determination.

Default Re: Intense pressure in throat, mouth and jaw

Yes! Difficulty swallowing is a common symptoms of anxiety/panic attacks for me. I used to think I was going to v* every time it happened until I realized that I never v* when it happens. So now when I get that I tell myself, "you're having anxiety/a panic attack" and I can almost instantly swallow and feel better. The pressure is something I'm familiar with too. It'll come at the back of my throat/mouth and along both sides of my jaw. It's hard to describe but I definitely have similar things to what you're describing.

Afdpt, it is hard to describe. It hasn't happened since last night, but the third time it happened yesterday I managed to fight it back a bit better than before. I know that it's just anxiety but it was the worst I've felt in a while! So it was difficult to beat back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The knowledge that you one day will conquer this fear, it fills you with determination.

I think I know what ya mean with the pressure thing but what I don't get is what exactly it is, you guys seem to link it with anxiety which makes ALOT of sense...but mine came out of nowhere a few months ago and I couldn't explain it to my parents who were concerned... Eating is so awks with it!!