Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Exercise nausea...help

I just came back from a skate (long board) and the back of my throat near my tonsils felt really dry like I was ready gag...
    This has happened before after exercising and my gag reflex gets really hard to control and I get REALLLYYY panicked!!!
    Because it gets like frozen in gag position, but no v*...its sooooooooo dry and furry it feels like I am choking..
    A doctor told me there is nothing wrong...and with really a surprise he told me I need to find a girlfriend???wtf?? anyway I dont see him anymore
    I just think some General Practitioners just don't look into anything if they see you have a history of anxiety? Like our physical symptoms are only caused by our minds and there is nothing physically wrong with you? (lion roar!!!!!!!!)!!!!!!!!

I ran back into my apartment now and tried cooling myself under a fan..I have valium, but I'm not going to take it. I think I can calm myself without it.

Has anyone had this behavior? Or had it while talking to someone?

Its been really bugging me this year..my social anxiety has been going into overdrive...

Default Re: Exercise nausea...help

Maybe you just got really thirsty and your throat was genuinely dry from all the air whooshing in your mouth/nose while you were skating? Could you take a bottle of water with you next time and see if it makes a difference? Anxiety can do very odd things with your throat too though including making you feel gaggy and sick but the fact this is only happening when you are exercising would indicate to me it is more likely linked to that and getting a bit dehydrated. Thats doctors sounded a bit weird by the way!

Hey paulinek

Yeah I do think I dont drink enough water throughout the day so maybe I was slightly dehydrated..the problem is really intense during some sought of physical exertion.
    I downed a glass of water before I left the house because I just got up from a nap. I guess I was excited to be out there carving around..
    But I did notice that the street was busy with cars...so the thought of gagging in front of traffic definitely enhanced the panic.

Thanks for the advice, I will take a small backpack next time with water and maybe a cold face towel. Maybe a small dose of valium too for extra relaxation. :I

Yeah that doctor really made me feel like I was a loser or something...but asking a doctor about girlfriend advice is like asking a whale how to ride a bike? haha
    cheers man

Haha!! The doc was probs using the gf thing as a kind of 'stop worrying' type of deal..my doc told me to 'go get a cider' when I explained all my worries to her..

Aaaanywayyy...
    Maybe take some ant acids too? Like try water first but failing that get onto something that will ease any gag feeling..hmmm...could even be a respiratory prob

I am pretty sure I know the feeling you're talking about. It helps me to sip water while I do intense physical activity (every few minutes I just take small sips ... just enough to wet my mouth and throat but not enough to weigh me down) and it really helps.

Quote Originally Posted by thecheesecake17 View Post
    Haha!! The doc was probs using the gf thing as a kind of 'stop worrying' type of deal..my doc told me to 'go get a cider' when I explained all my worries to her..

Aaaanywayyy...
    Maybe take some ant acids too? Like try water first but failing that get onto something that will ease any gag feeling..hmmm...could even be a respiratory prob
    Thanks, glad to hear your advice! Sipping water helped me last night, though swallowing is really difficult when your gag reflex refuses anything down the throat.. I do have asthma, but rarely get an attack after exercise.

Hi, I've gotten nauseous with exercise before too. It is possible to exert your body to the point of n* and v*, but it will usually happen in the midst of exercising, and you have to push your body really hard to get it to that point. This seems like you may have needed some water, and the feeling of thirst may have put your mind in a mild panic state - causing the throat tightness/gaggy feeling which is often associated with anxiety. Try sipping water next time while doing exercise, and make sure you had a protein filled snack beforehand. It doesn't have to be a big snack, but something small to prep your body.

Thanks krw94. I like to eat pecans or brazilian nuts before I exercise. Yeah its getting stuck in this gagging action that I HATE..alot of emotion comes through.

I would feel sick with exercise but I think it was all in my head haha After some research I felt more comfortable with what I was doing. Take small drinks of water, don't chug during or right after and you should be okay. People sometimes get sick because they chug too much water too fast after. It would take a lot of hard physical activity to make you actually sick. But skating, while good exercise, isn't likely at all to make you sick. Sounds like maybe it's thirst/anxiety mixed giving you this reaction.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

Quote Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
    I would feel sick with exercise but I think it was all in my head haha After some research I felt more comfortable with what I was doing. Take small drinks of water, don't chug during or right after and you should be okay. People sometimes get sick because they chug too much water too fast after. It would take a lot of hard physical activity to make you actually sick. But skating, while good exercise, isn't likely at all to make you sick. Sounds like maybe it's thirst/anxiety mixed giving you this reaction.
    Thanks crd08

I did a good hard session of weights, and sipped water in between sets to see if the dryness would come back..and it didn't. I think I'll still get the dryness when I am out skateboarding, but I'll make sure I am hydrated well before going and take a camel back (bladder of water in a backpack, sorry if you have heard of this?)
    The anxiety never really goes away, but If you can relax yourself enough..it can just play in background while I get sh*t done

btw I like your signature.. the light makes you heal..very powerful

Quote Originally Posted by Boyke84 View Post
    Thanks crd08

I did a good hard session of weights, and sipped water in between sets to see if the dryness would come back..and it didn't. I think I'll still get the dryness when I am out skateboarding, but I'll make sure I am hydrated well before going and take a camel back (bladder of water in a backpack, sorry if you have heard of this?)
    The anxiety never really goes away, but If you can relax yourself enough..it can just play in background while I get sh*t done

btw I like your signature.. the light makes you heal..very powerful
    Oh yeah, I bet the wind and air has something to do with it. And I have heard of those, I had an ex who liked to longboard and he had one for when him and his friends went and did all kinds of outdoor stuff haha Drinking enough water makes a huge difference. And I feel ya on the anxiety, how it seems to always be there. But it's good to find outlets for it! Exercise is a good one, so don't let it hold ya back. Keep on going!
    And thanks, it's actually a quote from Harry Potter haha It's my favorite from the series, thinking about getting a tattoo of it somehow.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

Would it help to chew gum to help keep your throat moist?

Yeah I've been having some sugar-free pastels when I am out and about. But I am finding drinking water when I can helps more. Breathing in a relaxed manner.

Thanks crd08, this week has been ALOT better. My next goal is to get into a martial art, but baby steps.
    Wow harry potter? would have never guessed that? I'm sure you'll find a way to make that quote/feeling immortal.