Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Emet turning into anorexia...

I'm crying as I write this. I've posted ALOT about this since I first joined here(sorry folks) but this fear really is affecting my health...I only have to count the 50-100 calories I ate in the last 12 hours as opposed to the usual 800-1000 I'd usually have back at home(where I'm more chilled).

I guess I'm just looking for advice...I'm feeling fake-sick ALOT recently and constipated due to eating what I think are 'safe' foods like bread, pasta, cheese, rice and potato products. I find these are easy on the stomach and not acidic but the minute I hear someone use the bathroom at my new place(I'm with three other guys who are students) I panic. I'm wondering if they're OK...I'm not too obsessive on a good day but I have been washing my hands up to 20 times a day cos of the season. Aswell as this, I'm used to a quiet life with my parents..but I know I need to complete this year in Uni, not just for the degree but because I came here a strong healthy, big-appetite girl who gradually lost up to 30 pounds over the past year. Now the littlest thing gets me anxious. And I know I'm blessed with good health and good people and it could be soooo much worse but we all know how emet effects us...

Today I ate a half slice of pizza from last night...and one slice of a 6-inch subway ...

Default Re: Emet turning into anorexia...

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I'm in the exact same boat. I hope it brings you at least a small shred of comfort to know that you're not alone in this. Message me anytime if you want to talk or need to vent.

I'm sorry you're going through that do you have someone at school who you can confide in about these issues and ask them to hold you accountable for eating enough calories? Let them know not to take no for an answer because it's necessary for your health.

Maybe you can try to make it fun in some way? Some type of reward system for yourself if you eat properly? like, "i can't watch the new episode of my favorite show unless I eat this whole sandwich?" Something like that.

Remember: food doesn't make you v*, if you do have to v* it's happening whether you ate or not, and if you need to v* it's much better to have food in your stomach.

Remember: your body needs proper nutrition in order to be working at its best to fight off bacteria and viruses that make you sick. So eat, that way if you're exposed, your body has its best possible chance at fighting it off for you.

Remember: you're perfectly strong and capable and amazing. So what if you get sick? You will be fine because you're awesome! You have handled sickness before, and you'll handle it again. and you'll feel so proud of yourself when that day comes!

Even 800-1000 calories is nothing. If you were on weight watchers trying to lose weight you would still be eating more than that. Perhaps a visit to the school counselor is in order. Especially if you aren't eating. You are just going to feel worse if you don't properly nourish your body and not eating has nothing to do with your likelihood of ving either. I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. I've been in your shoes and my weight dropped to 96 pounds and I felt horrible all the time. Now that I consume enough calories I feel so much better.

I'd say now is the time to get professional help. Anorexia is not something you want to mess around with. In grad school, I completed an internship with eating disorder clients. I learned a lot about what restricting can do to someone, both physically and emotionally. Not trying to scare you, but people can eventually die with anorexia; look at Karen Carpenter. Please get help. You are wilting away and are not getting the nutrients you need to survive. I was under weight in 2005...weighing 95 lbs in my mid 30's. Getting help is important if you are restricting that much.

Guys thanks so much, this thread is slightly more anxiety/disorder orientated but I can firmly say I gained one stone over summer and am almost at the 'healthy' weight for my height. However the reason I posted is cos its cos of my stupid non existent emet. I say non existent cos half the time when I'm n*, its either acid or tiredness. Also been having big trouble sleeping. But I know you guys have it worse than me so thanks so much.

I actually had an n*/acid attack today in Uni! Eeeek! Ate cereal this morning, then I thought 'ah OK! Gonna have a sandwich a few hours later and when I did, I felt a horrible sensation in my tummy but managed to pull myself together for a good ten mins and said 'you ate bread and cheese. You're healthy. It's not even n* its acid cos youv been super anxious'...quite proud how calm I was in front of some of my classmates. Then I had some fish and veg at 6 and my bf gave me a bite of his burger king meal but it kinda turned my tummy but I feel super fine ATM...ah I dunno. Stupid digestion/brain. Thanks guys..