Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Worried about my overall health and wellbeing..

Hi everyone. I've been lurking this website for a couple years now and just decided to make an account and participate with discussion. I'm open to talking to anyone if anyone needs help or just someone to vent to.

I've been going through a really rough time. On 9/29, around 4:30 AM, my boyfriend (who lives with me) woke up v*ing. It was loud and violent. He went back to sleep around 5 AM, but was awake at 7 AM v*ing again. He told me he was dizzy and had a stomach ache. He was awake and dressed by noon, acting like nothing had happened. He ate some cheeseburgers later that night and seemed fine.

After at least three years of being strong and thinking I had conquered this beast called emetophobia, I was proved wrong. Since he was sick, I haven't slept a full night nor eaten a real meal. I've lost 7 pounds. I've been having random crying spells and feelings of hopelessness. I even scheduled an appointment with a therapist for next week, for CBT. I've missed one day of work and a day of school so far. In the beginning, I would eat and feel okay, I was just eating very little. It seemed as time went on, things got worse. I started only eating toast and rice. Now, I can't eat without feeling dizzy and n* and feeling like there's a lump in my throat. I can't sleep at night without waking up at least 3 times and having to find a friend who's awake to talk to until I fall back asleep. It is tiring. I'm not sure what's going on, and was hoping someone could give me a little insight into what I could possibly be experiencing.

I guess some questions I have are:
    Is it possible I could still have/catch whatever he had? (I am very careful with handwashing/putting my hands in my mouth.)
    Could I have messed up my digestive system?
    Is my anxiety fooling my mind into thinking my digestive system is out of whack?

I'm excited and anxious to start CBT next week. Right now, I just need some quick support. I want a good night's sleep tonight.

Default Re: Worried about my overall health and wellbeing..

I should also add, that when this all started, I had NO appetite and I had 2 bouts of d* after worrying myself to death in the middle of the night. I also have no desire for intimacy with my man.

Hi and Welcome. You will find a lot of help and support here. First, I think the majority of all this is your anxiety, which is awful and can make you feel terrible, tricking you into believing something is "wrong." Your posts kind of hint that you think it's anxiety too. So definitely go with that. I don't think you'll catch anything from him. When you go for CBT, definitely tell them how you've been feeling and that it seems worse lately. CBT is hard, I've done it too, but just try to keep at it. Good luck and keep us posted!!

Thank you! I will definitely keep everyone posted on how CBT goes. I have chalked most of this up to my anxiety, but you know how that goes.. anxiety makes you second guess everything.

i'm sure you are fine physically by now. i know how those tough situations can stick in your mind and keep you up at night. I had a situation like that a few months back and after about a week things start to go back to normal, What ever that is.
    “A man that flies from his fear may find that he has only taken a short cut to meet it.”

I would say it's 99% most likely anxiety. I've been through the same situation, your body is basically in a high anxiety mode. What I would suggest (what helped me get back to normal most quickly) trying to exercise a little every day (not too much since your weight is going down but enough to get your heart rate up), take magnesium or magnesium baths and do guided relaxation meditations at least once a day. Try to remind yourself throughout the day to slow your breathing down, relax your muscles, etc. Then, make sure you're eating as much as possible because losing a lot of weight quickly is a big stress on your body. That's what helped me anyway!

Krw94, I went through the exact same thing! But six months ago..and my bf was unwell for about four days...

Soooo let me just say, try and get ahold of what you know is anxiety....deep down I knew that from the moment I left his place Id starve myself for a week and I did pretty much. I told my friends I was gonna eat a sandwich and soup until I was in the clear. But this made me get used to eating small and if I felt a bit full I'd full on panic. Strangely, NOT eating brought on a ton of problems...not too crazy but I dropped a good stone and to this day I look at food as evil instead of good...I adore my food, I really do, pizza...curry...chocolate...but I do believe I managed to screw my poor digestive system up...thank God I left university one month later so my family could help me get back to a stone heavier. So yeah, if you're doing this....avoiding food to be 'in the clear' and 'safe', try realise it only gets you to where I am now - eating a can of tuna for lunch and the odd chocolate bar....its not good. If we get the sv wer gonna get sick eitherway.

You're most likely fine, its the 12-10-15, that was almost a fortnight ago!!