Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Please help me, I can't stop crying. Sick roommate

Yesterday my roommate said she had terrible stomach cramps. I have been staying away, as I suspected a bug... Today, after it had been 24 hours or so, she ended up having bad d* and v* in our only bathroom. We have two other housemates and one bathroom and now I am terrified to use it. She v*d in the shower, so I can't even take a shower to feel clean. After I knew she was ill, I put on a face mask for when I was in the house but I am terrified. We share a bedroom and I obsessively wash my hands and sanitize doors, etc. but I can't stop thinking about it. I just had an anxiety attack over it and I haven't eaten all day because I am so scared I will get it. My housemates do not wash their hands, so I know they will use the bathroom and spread the germs all over the house. I wash and sanitize everything frequently but they will still be spreading it... Am I going to get it? Please help me, I can't do this anymore. I've lost 45 pounds in 4 months due to this phobia and don't want to eat at all. She said she will sleep on the couch so I can have the bedroom but I don't know if the germs are floating around in there?

Default Re: Please help me, I can't stop crying. Sick roommate

Awww I really feel sorry for you right now! Stay strong, it shouldn't last too much longer... Just keep doing what your doing! Listen to some music or watch your favourite films (something funny) take your mind of everything. Maybe you could go out for some fresh air, go to a cafe and eat something nice! You do need to eat something, even if it's small... It's going to make you feel better!
    Hope your okay! Jannine

You need to eat, it helps your body fight off things. Just keep your hands washed and try and clean the bathroom with bleach if you can. Remember it's not airborne so the germs are not floating around. Hand in there!!

I'm really sorry!!
    Everything's fine until a roomate is sick! I know the feeling so well...honestly if you can't keep calm til she's better, spend some time out of the house. That way, you're not fixating on it and its time spent for the germs to die off in the house. I thought my roomie was sick last week(he was in the bathroom for a good half hour at 3am!) And I just couldn't relax...I didn't even sleep for a few days. So I spent long days at university as it made me forget about home then that night I saw him and he seemed fine...

It shouldnt last too long and are you sure its not her period? My old mate from college often got cramps with v*...

I'm struggling with a roommate who gets sick too... it's pretty awful, I know the feeling. Is there anywhere else for you to stay just for the night? that's what i'm doing currently. If not, just spray your space with cleaner and try and get some sleep. if eating outside your home helps, that's a good idea too. sometimes I'll eat out so the food didn't come from the same space. good luck!!

I've been there but I got through it and so will you! It feels like the worst thing in the world right now but it's really not. It feels like it will never end, but it will.

You should definitely eat though as it's going to help your body be at it's strongest and best able to fight off anything.

I'm sorry that we can't guarantee that you're not going to get sick BUT just because the others are sick doesn't mean you will be. So try not to consider yourself doomed. Just be thankful for every day that you are healthy and soon this will be in the past.

But in the chance that you do get sick, I promise you will be ok. It will be unpleasant, as it always is for everyone, but it will be temporary. You will be just fine and then it will be all over and just a past memory. You've got support here if you need it and you are a strong, amazing person that can totally handle this if it happens!

In the mean time, as you're waiting it out, just try to keep yourself busy. Like others have said - get out of the house, enjoy fresh air, go eat at your favorite place, or try something new. While seemingly huge right now, this is such an insignificant moment in your life and will soon pass!