Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Getting stomach virus, terrified!

Guys I'm not sure what to do. My family doesn't understand this so I can't talk to them for help. There's a stomach bug going around my family and I think I'm getting it now. My stomach is in terrible pain, and I'm feeling panic set it. I don't want to have a panic attack! But I feel it coming on... I'm so scared. Every time this happens I think in going to die. I wish I could just "get thru it" like everybody else. Instead when I start to feel n* I cry and moan. And if I do v* I usually wake up the family because I get so panicked I scream and yell, I'm just so terrified. I really want to be strong and get thru this without the embarrassment... does anybody feel like they can talk me thru this?

Default Re: Getting stomach virus, terrified!

I'm sorry you're going through that! It's always scary when those in our household are sick and we feel like we're just playing the waiting game.

Last time I had a stomach bug I felt really panicky when I started feeling unwell but once I just accepted it, it got a whole lot better. I know that probably sounds easier said than done but just keep telling yourself, "I just have a bug but I will get through this." It's going to be a lot of pep talks to yourself. Remind yourself that you're AMAZING and so very capable of handling this even if you don't want to. You're going to have 24 hours or so of feeling pretty lousy but then it will be over and you'll be back to normal like nothing ever happened.

Last time I had a stomach bug I fought off v* for hours until I finally got so tired (literally, it was the middle of the night and I was exhausted) I decided I was going to let myself v*. I walked myself to the bathroom sat by the toilet and didn't even know how to do it at first. But I was determined and got myself to relax and let it happen. It honestly wasn't as bad as my brain made it out to be beforehand, I felt SO MUCH better and was able to sleep for hours with no more n*, and I felt really proud of myself for doing that and for being "normal." My point of that, other than saying it wasn't so bad, is that once we accept things and give ourselves permission to do it, the fear honestly decreases so much. It basically puts you back in control of something that feels like it's out of your control if that makes sense.

I wish I was so calm as you Afdpt! But I get what you mean.....I think we actually WANT to v* if its that bad cos its so damn tedious...I did a similar thing with the flu cos it was dragging on..and on...and the night felt like a year so when I felt the instinct I just walked confidently to the bathroom and went 'Oh for crying out loud...I hate this! I hate this!!' Then when I began the dreaded incident I sang in the intervals(I had a show that night!) To get my mind off it and it helped ALOT tbh....

If you have got it Lizzy, there ARE ways to make it bearable.... Try thinking of something unrelated when you need to v*...like a crisis happening in the world or if you won the lottery, this made me relax lots

I can't seem to stop thinking I'm going to die. I know my family have all gotten it already, but my stupid mind tells me that something is very wrong. It's weird knowing that something is irrational yet it feels so real it's hard to let go of... I tell myself to call down and try to talk myself down, but as soon as the time comes I lose my self control. I forget everything I've learned. I just scream and cry. I feel like I'm going to cry now. I have *d and really bad nausea and I feel like any minute now I could *v and I'm so scared. And I have my three year old with me and no one to watch him....

I agree with Adfpt, if you have the sv it is best to try to let yourself v as it makes you feel so much better. The first time I caught sv off my daughter I fought it all evening, night and into the next morning but eventually I felt so awful and exhausted I knew I had to let it happen. If you do need to v just try to let it happen and you will be surprised how much better it makes you feel. Then try to hold onto that memory for if you get it again. The following time I got the sv I thought back to how much better ving made me feel and although I was still extremely anxious it made it easier.

How are you now? Bless your heart I hope your felling better. .

Lizzy, are you feeling better today?

I think the fact that you haven't posted (hopefully) means you're lots better! Let us know!!