Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Throat swelling or anxiety?

While I was breathing, my throat fluttered/palpitated and I started coughing as if I was choking. It only lasted a few, but it feels like my throat is slightly swollen and/or depressed (literally depressed; collapsed).

I can't tell if I'm having issue swallowing because of a swollen throat, or because there is no moisture in my mouth lol. I took a sip of water and it doesn't exactly feel as easy as it is normally to swallow. I started to get anxious afterwards, and got really dizzy. Not sure what is going on now lol...

Default Re: Throat swelling or anxiety?

How are you feeling now? I did that once and blamed it ones I was taking.. it could've just been anxiety. Never happened again. Hope you are feeling better.

It is actually happening right now once again (which prompted me back). It didn't flutter like yesterday, but it just started to feel "stressed" or itchy/swollen again. I'm breathing slowly (purposefully) to see if I'm getting stressed of breath, in case I'm immediately heading to the emergency room.

I just really hate how these symptoms prompt a real anxiety episode, which aggravate the symptoms. I really wish I had an anti-histamine just incase... never had this issue when I was psychologically addicted to Phenergan (Promethazine) a few years ago.

As weird as it sounds, I think you might pulled your oesophagus muscle....probably no such thing but I get a similar thing when I have a coughing attack during a cold.
    Maybe it's acid too, of you're anxious about it.that's not a good combo.
    Maybe go to the doc if it persists?

You kinda said it yourself too - most likely just anxiety induced for the most part. How are you now?

I'm doing better now. I think it was actually GERD related... since those 2 attacks, i've been dealing with acid indigestion and a feeling of a swollen throat, on and off. This sounds stupid, but I purposefully ate something that I knew would cause an acid-reflux reaction (peanut butter) and my throat is swollen, so that eases the anxiety a bit haha. I'm... nauseated from this, but in the long run my mind is at ease. Just gonna take a ranitidine (Acid reflux "first aid") to ease.

Thanks for your responses, I really appreciate it.