Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hiya everyone. It's late and I can not sleep, as usual. Anyways, I was wondering how many of you agree that v* is a mind over matter thing? Do you actually think if you really talk yourself out of it and concentrate very hard when you feel so ill that you can stop the process? I mean, I was just asking to see if anyone thinks this or actually has done it? I believe I have done it a number of times. When I had gotten s/v I would only get d* and not v*. I would tell people how sick I was and they would tell me they had the same thing and they were throwing up so much. One time, I was actually around someone 2 days before we both feel ill so apparently he got it from me or I got it from him. Anyhow, he told me after we both got better that he threw up on and off for days. He thought he was better only to get sick again. My sickness was the same way. I would feel better only to feel sick as a dog again. Same pattern but the only difference was I didn't throw up. I was sooo soo sick and had to throw up so bad but I just did not allow myself. So my question to you is, do you think this is possible and do you believe you can actually control it? Agh, I sound like such a weirdo but this gives me hope that maybe I can continue to do this when I get some sort of s/v. So, what do you think?
    Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus.- Colossians 3:17

In some cases you can- in others you cant. I know that at times i have stopped myself from throwing up using sheer willpower, but at others it seemed like nothing was going to stop it- including gravol, drinking water, or pacing. I am sick pretty often- but rarely with anything that causes vomitting. LOL, maybe it's because in most cases I am able to stop it- who knows. But I do know that it is not completely preventable- and that you can't bank on being able to stop it through sheer will power. Hell, even anti-emets aren't foolproof- I take them as a last resort when travelling due to severe motionsickness, and have vomitted at least once with everything I have tried.

I think you have to get used to the idea that it's unlikely that you will go through the rest of your life without vomitting again. You can hold off for years- even decades- but the odds of it not happening again during your lifespan are pretty thin. If that isn't incentive to get over your emet, I don't know what is

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I agree with Amber, sometimes you can and sometimes you can't. I've heard people say that you can "desensitize" that part of your brain and you will rarely v*. But look at us, I think we have already done this because we rarely v* ourselves. Sometimes though, you just can't fool mother nature.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I agree.

I have a friend who can puke at the drop of a hat. Everytime she even thinks the thought "Am I going to get sick?" She will suddenly have to puke. I also think that in many cases if people are feeling sick, they can get into a deep relaxation and put the feeling off.
    \"This too shall pass\"

I think it's very possible, sometimes you get ill and you can't fight it and I know people on here who will say that but I also know this guy Paul. Paul is not emetophobic, but one time while away he drank water that was polluted and was SO sick, V*, fever, extremely ill. Since then he has not V* once and it's been many years. He just...."doesn't do it" as he puts it. He is into martial arts and about controlling his body. There have been several times he should have V* and hasn't because he controls his breathing. It's very strange lol. Maybe one day he'll get something where he has no choice idk. God if he were a woman I'd be SO in love with him LOL Edited by: hippychick
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I have to agree w/ everyone else. Sometimes you can and sometimes you can't... I've stopped myself a number of times... until I contracted a Norovirus, I hadn't v*ed in YEARS... but when I was sick w/ that there was no stopping it..
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

I think it's mind over matter to a certain extent, I mean a non emet would probably think, "I feel really terrible, how canI fix this, oh yeah I know" whereas our thought pattern is more "I feel awful but at least I'm not v*ing" Most emets would rather feel miserable for 3 days than v* for 3 minutes.Edited by: zanana
    Judge me all you want, but keep the verdict to yourself

Tanyarn, I agree, alot of the time it *is* a mind over matter thing. If you are REALLY ill, you may not have a choice in the matter, but withless seriousthings like the odd stomach bug, I truly believe you can stop yourself, if - like Shiva said - you can get yourself into a deep enough state of relaxtaion. Although some people's bodies are just different - some have a higher tolerance to v*ing (like us), and similarly with people with REALLY good immune systems. Whereas others will v* at the drop of a hat.

So I suppose it depends who you are, and how you feel about the whole thing in your mind.