Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Dog walked through dried v* trying not to freak out

I'm new. I took my dog out for a walk today and she and I accidentally walked through some dried v* in the middle of the street. I asked the neighbor about it when he got out of his car and he said that one girl who lives there has been sick for a few days. He didn't indicate that anyone else was sick (it's a missionary group that houses 10+ people) and it hasn't stopped her from going to work. My hubby washed the dog outside for me, but not after I'd walked her back through the house and out her in her crate. I left my shoes in the garage, but now I'm afraid that she tracked the germs onto the carpet with her feet. (I bought her a new crate and put the old one in garage cus I couldn't handle cleaning it and we wanted a smaller one anyway).

So so now in trying to gauge how much I need to freak out about it being on the carpet. Did it wear off her paws when we walked? Also since people were driving through it, even though it's dried, can it get spread all over the street and on the driveways and garages? If it's on the carpet, are we spreading it around with our feet and socks? My daughter touches her feet and then touches her face.

How owe much am I overreacting? Could use advice. Hubby and mom told me "it's fine" but I'm having trouble getting these thoughts out of my head and just visualize particles being spread all over our house every time we walk over the carpet.

Default Re: Dog walked through dried v* trying not to freak out

I am sure it's fine! And sorry hon, you are overreacting - but big ((hugs)), been there! Earlier this year twice (yep) I had to leap over fresh vomit and failed one of those times, never got sick from that.

Oh and the best tip from a fellow pet owner, get some OdoBan. I love it - works amazing! I have replaced my Lysol with it!

You will be completely fine. IF there were any infectious particles still in the dried v* (we don't actually know why she has been being s*; could be pregnant or something for all we know) then I am sure that they would have been long gone from your dog's feet by the time you got into your house as it would have worn off whilst you were walking. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone getting s* from their dog walking through some dried v*. I am sure I read/heard somewhere too that UV light kills norovirus, don't quote me on that, but if it was dry then it had been there for sometime, which would be plenty of time for the UV rays to kill any possible infectious particles.

It might be an idea to keep some pet paw wipes on you when you take your dog out for a walk, in the same place you keep the poop bags, so that you can give her paws a quick wipe before entering your house as I am sure dogs must pick up all kinds of thigs on their paws which I can imagine you would not like in your house. They smell nice too which is a bonus. It is like when you take your children out and always have to make sure that you have some wet wipes on you, it can be the same for the dog.
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring" - Marilyn Monroe

Thanks ChiGal. That makes me feel much better! I'll check out the OdoBan! I have a homemade cleaner I use that cheap and works on everything. It's just water, rubbing alcohol, and dawn dish soap. It's non-toxic (unless ingested) and can be used on food surfaces with our rinsing. I checked out the cdc page on what alcohol kills and it kills pretty much everything but n*. It's also the main ingredient in most hand disinfectant soaps for hospitals (I'm sure there's other stuff in there too).

Thanks! That's a good idea! We keep wipes in the garage for the dogs bottoms anyway so I'll just use those. I have one dog with ibd who has messy poops or d* then likes to wipe his bottom on my carpet. Emet aside, that's just gross and I don't want to clean it off my carpet. It's easier to clean the source.