Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default PLEASE HELP! Withdrawals from Mirtazapine or Olanzapine?

Hi guys,

Heading back inpatient next week and they want me on Mirtazapine or Olanzapine, but I am TERRIFIED of withdrawal n* or v* someday when it is time to come off them. Has anybody successfully weaned off these drugs without v*? I've particularly seen scary posts online about uncontrollable v* with Olanzapine...

I really need meds though as I am not functioning at all

Thanks guys

Default Re: PLEASE HELP! Withdrawals from Mirtazapine or Olanzapine?

I don't usually participate, but I saw your post and wanted to reach out. I've recently weened myself off mirtazapine and citalopram, and didn't feel n* or v* once. Hope this reassures you somewhat!

I actually stopped Zyprexa (Olanazpine) cold-turkey because I couldn't afford it (no generic at the time, $500 co-pay). I had no issues. Not recommending you do that as I did it without a doctors approval however. It's half life is 20-40 hours meaning it's out of your body within about three days.

But why worry now? See if those meds work for you! Don't worry until you have got something to worry about.

Thank you so much guys. ChiGal, how long were you on Olanzapine before you went cold turkey?

Quote Originally Posted by loonylovegood View Post
    Thank you so much guys. ChiGal, how long were you on Olanzapine before you went cold turkey?
    I was on it for 14 months. It was 20 mgs at bedtime - knocked me out lol.

I was on mirtazapine a few times (a year or so each time) and never had any real issues weaning...maybe a bit of a headache the first few days. I just halved the dose every week. Easy.

I can understand your concern about withdrawal from Meds but please remember that the probability of you becoming sick when coming off of them is very low and if you do it slowly even less likely to happen. I am coming off of mirtazapine currently and the only thing I have is headaches. I too made the mistake to read the forums on other sites about coming off of mirt and it was horror story after horror story so I was nervous, but it's very manageable and not bad at all! Also, I owe my life to this medication I wouldn't not be where I am today if I hadn't been pushed by my family to take the medication. It's helped me immensely . Please don't let the scary testimonials deter you because more than likely it won't be that way for you! I wish you all of the best. Mirt is a really great and helpful medication.