Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default How to avoid sv* ???

Hi guys! I'm sorry I post a lot, I just feel like it's the only place I can get the help I need.

As you know (or not if you haven't read any of my posts yet), I work in a primary school. I'm an administrative assistant, I'm not always in direct contact with the kids but still, I'm terrified to catch this stupid sv*. I know kids get sick easily, I know this type of v* spread easily in a school and I really don't want to get sick.

Because of my anxiety, I barely eat and I feel pretty weak. I currently have sore throat, probably a cold or something and if I can catch a cold that easily it means I could also get the sv* just as easily ...

What are the things I can do to avoid it? I obviously wash my hands a lot etc ...

Please, help!

Default Re: How to avoid sv* ???

Hmmm well, first off its probably worth remembering that the many more viruses & bacteria cause upper respiratory infections and when someone has something like rhinovirus they are WAY less limey to stay home sick from work or school

Truly the best prophylaxis is to take care of yourself (I know this is going to sound like a broken record) but I can promise you from an immunological standpoint its true!!
    You need to eat.. the healthier the better!! Exercise and mental wellness are equally important... give your body the best possible chance of effectively fighting off pathogens!

After that, hand washing (soap and water) is the only really proven method of getting rid of something like norovirus... and it sounds like you are already on top of that!
    I know these aren't new suggestions.. but they really are the things that work

Another thing to remember is that kidlets vomit all the time for every reason under the sun.. Some of those things like Rotavirus aren't going to get you sick (it has to do with the receptors for the virus being MUCH farther apart in an adult stomach. Which renders the virus ineffective) other things like ear infections (really ANY infections) are far more likely to upset little stomachs.

On a personal level.. I worked with kids and teens for years and only ever caught something once (I have no idea if it was even from one of my kids). I have also spent a few months in the peds ER before med school (where almost everything is gastroenteritis) and definitely never caught anything.. even though I was certainly w/in "particle inhalation range"" and there is just no way to not touch surfaces in the ER

Lastly, I think it's maybe worth thinking yourself through a plan of action if you DO get sick... It'll be miserable, you'll be anxious and maybe terrified... but you will handle it!! You will take care of yourself and you will be ok.. and after the fact it will be just an unpleasant 24 hours of your life!! I think for us the FEAR of this day can be so much worse than when it ever actually happens, at least that is how it has been for me

Hopefully this is a place to start??
    Be well,
    ~M

Thank you very much for your reply, it really helped.
    I'm truly terrified. I don't sleep well, I don't eat, I'm worried 24/7, it's ruining my life

I try to control that anxiety but it's hard. I try to eat, I try to sleep better but all I can think about is " I am gonna be sick ".

Once again, thank you because you took the time to write a proper reply with all those informations that really, really reassured me.

xx

Malalcala gave you excellent advice and information!

Colds spread so much easier than a stomach bug. Think about it - most people get a few colds per year, while they only typically catch a stomach bug once every few years.

The bugs spread fast and easily when people are not careful. You obviously are careful so have much less chance of catching something. Wash your hands after using the restroom and before eating... That alone drastically improved your chances of staying healthy.

Whatever you do, don't decrease your food intake for fear of getting sick! As stated above, you need your body healthy so it will have the best chance of fighting off anything it is exposed to.

I would also recommend regular exercise. It's great for general anxiety so will help you feel good overall plus it's a great supplement to the healthy eating you'll be doing

My number 1 tip, however, is to work on making yourself not afraid (or at least less afraid.) Stop focusing so much on how to not catch things, and start working on convincing yourself that you'll be ok even if you do catch something. Visualize your scary scenarios often. Imagine that child coming into your office with a bucket in hand. You're still safe in that moment right? Imagine he dips his head toward the bucket - still safe! You've got minutes to spend with him, that's it. Then he goes home and you're still fine! But what if you catch it? Your body will know what to do, even if you don't think it will. It'll be unpleasant and uncomfortable for a few hours, but so is strep throat or a really bad cold and you're not afraid of that right? On the bright side you get to have a day off work to pamper yourself it will not be as bad as your brain thinks it will. Within days it'll just be an unpleasant memory. No real sense stressing out so much for something that will last a few days MAX, right? Whatever happens you're going to be just fine! Don't stop reminding yourself of that until you truly believe it (and even then it doesn't hurt!)

Thank you so much ! I am so grateful for having people who support me and help me when I need it ...

I don't workout but I walk a lot, I don't have a car so I take public transports and then walk to work (about 10 min and it's on top of a hill so lol )

I'll try to convince myself I'll be ok whatever happens ...

Thanks again for taking the time to reply x