Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Sister v* last night

Hey everyone!
    I'm new to this forum and I've had emetophobia for 7 years (since I was 8).

My sister got s* last night after having "gas" for two days. We used the same bathroom yesterday (she didn't make a bm, though) and might have used the same towel.... She's in the living room right now and I haven't seen her since dinner last night, when I sat next to her. I went out to breakfast with her yesterday and I didn't sit next to her but I helped her put on her shoes... My mom and I sanitized my bathroom with bleach and are making sure that my sister isn't going in there. I'm using a different toothbrush, etc. I've been scrubbing my hands and using Germstar Noro hand sanitizer all day.

How do I not get sick? Do you think I will get sick??

Thank you!

Jules

Default Re: Sister v* last night

No one can guarantee you you won't get sick... You seem to be doing the right things to avoid it though. Washing your hands etc. ... Keep doing it!
    And maybe your sister does not have a bug, maybe she just had a heartburn or something and she's not contagious.

Just relax, keep washing your hands before eating etc and you'll be fine !

Take care

LadyM gave you great advice. I wish I could guarantee that you won't get sick, but nobody can do that. If you're keeping with basic hygiene (which is sounds like you are) your chances of catching something is very minimal. Plus, there's a decent chance your sister wasn't even contagious especially if she had stomach upset for days leading up to this... Could have just been the end result of that.

Whatever happens you're going to be ok! Even if you get sick, you're going to be ok!

Yikes! A nightmare for a person with emotophobia. You are 15 according to my calculations. I am 15 too. Only I've had emotophobia for 10 years now. I feel your pain. And people with this phobia hardly v*. I haven't for the past 10 years thankfully. You'll be alright.

You're doing the right things to avoid it, so take peace in knowing that. Plus she might not have been contagious. Was she sick all day? Fever, D*, achey, lethargic? It could have just been something else. Try not to worry and just keep up with the hand washing!
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

After Thanksgiving, I have really bad bloating (I ate a lot of vegetables, as I'm a vegan) and it hurts. Does this mean I'm going to v*? I'm freaking out.

Not necessarily - especially not if you've been using the Noro hand sanitizer. If you're super worried, you could take some activated charcoal if you have any, it's supposed to help absorb toxins and nasties that cause gas, bloating and you-know-what. If not, burnt toast is an alternative as the charred surface is somewhat similar to activated charcoal, just less of it and it's not been scientifically altered or 'activated'. Mint tea is another super good option as it soothes the inflammations that cause these unwanted symptoms. Also, you could just be stressing yourself out - I do that a lot too, especially if someone gets s*, I just immediately assume i'm next haha which is silly because if you're practicing good hand hygiene then the chances are a lot slimmer. Just try keep yourself calm and watch something to take your mind off it.

I don't think you're gonna v* . You ate a lot of vegetables, that's what makes you bloat. You should probably lay on your couch or bed and it'll pass. You can also massage your stomach gently, it can make the bloat go away. I don't know if that'll work for you, but it does for me!

Relax, you're gonna be ok

I see a pattern around thanksgiving of people being more anxious and even the non emets feeling 'under the weather' haha!! I think ALOT of people can't adjust to a big portion of good food seeing as ALOT of our daily diet features sugar filled treats and efficient meals. So most of you can relax I think, your body is just emptying what you consumed and it was probably healthy...

Jules, how do you feel right now??
    I'd say if its been two to three days(which it has) you're in the clear.

Sooo many people v* randomly, usually, as stated above, the non emets. It sucks but kinda explains why we fear it...it's like diving into a swimming pool for the first time in ages fearing the uncomfortable side effects.

How is your sis? Also you said you helped her get her shoes on, is she young?? If so, maybe it's one of those classic toddler things where they just get sick randomly. Doesn't sound like a bug tbh. Hope you're ok