Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Salmon has me freaking out

So I went to eat salmon my dad cooked for me for dinner(2 pieces cooked in a dish for 30 minutes) and it tasted lukewarm and looked sort of bright pink in the middle. I only ate a bit from the end and swallowed it before I realised. I only ate one bite from the end that looked cool but I am really scared that now I am going to get food poisoning or throw up. Can anyone help me clarify the situation and whether this is dangerous?

Default Re: Salmon has me freaking out

I think you will be fine, especially since you didn't even eat the part that was possibly undercooked. The ends typically cook much faster than the middle so I'm sure the part you ate was cooked. Also, don't forget that people eat raw salmon in sushi and sashimi all the time and if they all got sick there would be no more sushi restaurants!

Yep... your fine!! The danger with undercooked salmon is less about the kind of food poisoning you are worried about anyway and more about other lovely things that I won't go into detail about
    I eat sushi all the time!! (granted Sushi grade fish is generally monitored more closely than the fish you cook but you are still fine!)

Thanks for your replies. It just freaked me out a bit, as I have heard horror stories about undercooked meats and fish.

I don't think that there was anything wrong with that salmon. At 400F it should be cooked 10 minutes per inch of thickness (roughly). As someone who has worked in the seafood industry, I would consider good salmon pretty safe to even eat raw as long as it was carefully prepared. Slightly undercooked is highly unlikely to make you v* or sick in any way.