Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Do your parents get "on your back' cos of emet-determined weight?

I am looking forward to Christmas as per usual. Even just making mince pies with my older bro and having some banter around the dinner table... But... Since I had my crazy emet phase this year in the summer, my parents have kept an extra eye on me and my food habits. They're not crazy and thankfully see that I love a good indulge when it's chocolate or pizza or a curry but if I don't feel hungry for dinner(THEY EAT AT 4:30 SOMETIMES) They quiz me and my mum specifically looks at me with deep concern as if I'm anorexic, which, I'm not! I've always been ultra skinny as my dad is tall and only puts weight on on his stomach and she can't remember how I was before I started drinking for two years when I went up about 28 pounds...and since I stopped going out getting wasted three nights a week I've gone back to my normal weight which has always been the kind of skinny where I can eat and eat but all I get is 'Please put some weight on, you skinny minny!'.

I used to laugh it off and my mum used to accept the way I look but since she has this other image of me, when I was 'curvy and had some weight on my face' she says to me EVERYDAY 'Babe PLEASE eat more' when I actually eat 200g more of chocolate than any of my family does...My dad has also been stressed cos of his job and when my tummy plays up he joins in and sometimes my brother will say 'its all in your head, just eat more' but they don't get it..not only do I have consistent episodes of acid reflux but I'm not as strong as them... If I feel a little n* from the spaghetti we eat I panic as I will have to hide what I'm feeling.

Also, I'm wondering if any vegans out there found it hard to 'come out' of the vegan closet lol....last time I went home I did something terrible.... When my family cooked nice food with meat, I was too scared of what they'd say when I tell them I don't wanna eat meat anymore so, I got a napkin and ate ALL of my dinner except for the chicken/lamb/beef. Its not a crazy eating disorder but I know I won't hear the end of it when I tell them I can't digest meat too well and that I actually don't have much care for meat(I find it quite bland unless heavily flavoured).. Did anyone else have a hard time coming out as vegan??
    'Since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal'

2 Corinthians 4:18💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

Default Re: Do your parents get "on your back' cos of emet-determined weight?

I'm not vegan but I'm vegetarian and my family was kinda like "what why? bacon is so good" lol I grew up on a farm, my entire family hunts, so this was a very foreign thing to them. I just don't care for meat. I am a bad vegetarian sometimes. I have had meat a few times..or picked it out of things like you did. But overall I just don't really ever desire meat :/ I have always been this way, but as a kid I had to eat what my family cooked, so now I can finally eat what I want lol

My mom's side of the family are all skinny naturally, so nobody says anything about my size. Only when I REALLY dropped weight did they notice anything and I was too thin, so they were right to be concerned. I eat kinda normally now though and while i am small , I'm at a perfectly healthy weight. My dad's side of the family is also mostly on the slender side, so I just blend in with everybody else lol
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

Been in the same place. I have always been such a fussy eater, not eating a healthy thing in my life. I'm not a big eater at all either. Christmas is the worst when it comes to this, sat at a table with the whole family and not eating a single thing, which of course annoys my parents. But my grandparents think its the end of the world if I don't eat (don't they all, lol! bless them) and they tend to start the whole "you're gonna become very ill when you are older if you don't eat" thing.

And a lot of people think I am anorexic, I'm not that skinny. I have a pear shaped body, most of my fat is around my tummy... actually that might be my tea belly, considering I have drunk tea from when I was a baby (because I'm British) Lol!

On a serious note, alot of our parents do this because they care, even if its frustratingly annoying. My family understands the whole 'emet' thing, so they know my eating habits. But that does not stop them from playing the "you need to eat" card, but I guess that is just unconditional love that parents have.

They just want the best for you. I think having someone kind of nagging you about your eating habits is actually a GOOD thing. I've known several people with eating disorders (not emet related but still, same idea and dangers) and I've seen what difference a nagging parent can make. So even when it seems annoying and frustrating, try to remember that they want the best for you. They're telling you things that are true usually (that you should be eating more and having a healthy relationship with food.) Even if you're eating just to appease them, you're still eating and that's super important!