Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Relationship Help

Hi all,
    I am on the edge! In January I will have been going out with my boyfriend for 8 years (we have been going out since we were 16).
    Recently my anxiety relating to severe emetophobia and IBS has just been off the scale. I seem to have so many safety behaviours and have to stick to strict routines. He has been so patient with me all this time but it's getting too much for him! I can tell it is straining our relationship as we are only 24 and I feel so on edge when we go out for meals etc or if he goes out with his friends I'm terrified that he will v* due to being tooo drunk! Everything relates back to s* with me and I can't do it anymore! I have had CBT but that didn't work and I just don't know what to do anymore!
    Has anyone else been in/ is currently in a similar situation?! Any advise would be great! Thank you x

Default Re: Relationship Help

Been there! For me, that potential relationship strain was helpful because it made me work really hard not to give into the fear. I would still go out even though I felt like I was dying inside from all of the exposure. We went out to eat all the time. I washed my hands excessively in order to counter all of the germs I felt I was being exposed to. It was so hard but he was patient with me because he knew I was pushing myself really hard. Keep working on it because it CAN get better. Now I go out to eat all the time worry free. I wash my hands no more than any other normal person. I don't freak out if he has a few drinks. Push yourself through these uncomfortable situations and never give up on your desire to recover. Maybe try a different therapist - they're not all created equally and what works for one person may not work for another. If you ever want to PM me, please feel free. I'd love to help you in any way I can. I would hate for an otherwise great relationship to struggle just because of emetophobia!