Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Typing Out "The" Words?

Can I ask why some here cannot type out the actual words - but instead use abbreviations? It is all the same to me, but I am curious:

Why is v* better than vomit/ing or d* better than diarrhea or s* better than sick? You know the meaning. Why does it make a difference?

Default Re: Typing Out "The" Words?

I believe that seeing the whole word makes some people anxious? I was looking at an exposure therapy website before and the first stage is reading the words and then saying them out loud until it no longer bothers you saying them. I think a lot of people are not actually bothered by the words and either abbreviate them out of convenience or for the people that are triggered by them. People are at all different levels with their phobia and for some even the mere sight of the word vomit can be triggering. I remember when I was younger and I could not even talk about anything to do with it without getting extremely anxious and feared that saying "vomit" would somehow jinx me and cause me to be sick myself. I think people use the abbreviations with consideration for the members that may still be in the stage of their phobia where they cannot even look at the words?

Personally I am not at all bothered by the words and only abbreviate them as I thought that is what we did here? :P
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring" - Marilyn Monroe

Haha I thought it was to shorten it! Or to highlight the aspect of how bad the words are lol....I guess I never thought about it, at first I was like what's a D-star? I thought it was a pretty word or something then I was like ohhh no. 😜😜😜

I hate saying the words in real life too, throwing up is OK for me to say as its very commonly used in my Uni when people talk about drinking , hardly anyone uses the v word...its just a horrid word whereas 'being sick' just sounds more....innocent haha. I think the v* word gives it more identity as if it was a person or a curse word....you make a good point though..I never even thought about it!

I know it may be triggering/uncomfortable for some but I don't personally like shortening the words...I feel like doing so gives them a lot of power & this phobia has already had more control of my life than I'd like to admit. Maybe I just subscribe to Harry Potter wisdom "Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself".

Yep, same as all the others, I do it in case someone can get triggered by it. Though I'm wondering if there is anyone on here that actually does get triggered by it and we're all just doing this because we've seen each other do it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The knowledge that you one day will conquer this fear, it fills you with determination.

It's kinda like 'He who shall not be named' from Harry potter haha

I also just abbreviate in case anyone is triggered, but it just seems to be an everyday occurrence
    "Take a moment, Remind yourself to, Take a moment and find yourself.
    Take a moment to ask yourself if this is how we fall apart.
    But it's not. But it's not. But it's not. But it's not. But it's not.
    It's okay. It's okay. It's okay. It's okay. It's okay.
    You've got nothing. Got nothing. Got nothing. Got nothing to fear.
    I'm here. I'm here. I'm here."
    Here comes a thought

Quote Originally Posted by thecheesecake17 View Post
    It's kinda like 'He who shall not be named' from Harry potter haha
    Omg...lmao!!

I'm not bothered by the full words. I was just doing what everybody else was doing!

I think it makes some people anxious seeing the word, but I only do it because I am lazy lol I think that's the case for most of us actually haha It's just a way to shorten it now. Sometimes I do type the words out, as "fear of the name only increases fear of the thing itself" Another Harry Potter reference lol
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

While words have never actually been triggering for me, I've always especially disliked the term "puke" - of all the vomit words out there that's the one that gives me the most "grossed out" reaction - but not enough to cause a panic attack. I'm not sure why it is that way either.

I'm also with the belief that using those abbreviations gives the words more power. I sometimes abbreviate to try to be considerate of those who are supposedly deeply triggered by it -although I still don't agree with censoring it. A lot of times I just forget to do it though. Personally I think it would be better if everyone started typing out the word on here. It's a great starting point for recovery.

I agree - we should all type the words out in full. I've probably used the same exposure website as you Miss Pink. I worked through words, sentences, cartoons, pictures of people feeling sick and had to stop at pictures of vomit and couldn't look at videos.

I understand people's anxiety though. I used to freak out if a character in a novel even said something like, "I'm sick of you". I used to have to cover it up and change it to 'fed up' and say it over and over again. Just seeing the word caused massive distress.

I never type it because I am trying to be sensitive to others. I can type it and be fine. I can even watch videos of someone vomiting and be fine. I just can't deal with the ACTUAL act of it in my house. Silly. -_-

Like others, I censor the words because I know some are triggered by them. They don't bother me - I can type them/say them out loud in conversation without being fazed at all, though when I was little it bothered me a lot.

I've always been a supporter of using the words in full.

I don't know why some object to the words. Not very many do, according to polls that have been done on IES.

Some forums are for people who have a fear of heights, but they don't abbreviate
    airp****
    skys******
    lad***

Some forums are for people who have a fear of dogs, but they don't abbreviate
    G***** sh******
    co**ie
    gre*****d
    Sn***y
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    I've always been a supporter of using the words in full.

I don't know why some object to the words. Not very many do, according to polls that have been done on IES.

Some forums are for people who have a fear of heights, but they don't abbreviate
    airp****
    skys******
    lad***

Some forums are for people who have a fear of dogs, but they don't abbreviate
    G***** sh******
    co**ie
    gre*****d
    Sn***y
    Agreed!

Maybe it can actually be therapeutic to some to actually see the words?

The words don't freak me out, but I abbreviate anyway out of respect for others.
    Even if we're breaking down, we can find a way to break through
    Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
    Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you
    --- Rachel Platten "Stand By You" ♥

I also abbreviate Diahhrea because I do not know how to spell it right
    ^^see its spelled wrong
    Even if we're breaking down, we can find a way to break through
    Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
    Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you
    --- Rachel Platten "Stand By You" ♥

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah A. View Post
    ^^see its spelled wrong
    This is so accurate. I second this hahah I try to spell it and then I'm like "Nope, just gonna use the ***" haha
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

I am a cancer survivor and post regular on a cancer support forum. I usually use "n&v" there where we're discussing nausea and vomiting there because I am lazy and it's less to type out, especially when you need to use the same word over and over. I use v* here for the same reason. However, I used to be very superstitious, and I wouldn't even SAY vomit. So I understand that perspective, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah A. View Post
    ^^see its spelled wrong
    I use spell-check still for that word! I can never spell it right either lol!