Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Is v* an involuntary act?

Last question I swear, guys. It's important for me know this for my own recovery process, is v* strictly an involuntary act? I know people can make themselves do by sticking their fingers down their throat and things like that. But it's not possible to make yourself v* just be thinking about it, is it? (I was too scared to look this up, lol.)

Default Re: Is v* an involuntary act?

I think it depends on the person. I do not think it is strictly an involuntary act. I have been pretty nauseated to the point where I think a lot of non emets would have let it happen but I didn't, and also I have been so sick that it happened even though I fought as hard as I could not to but I got sick anyway. I haven't ever v*ed from thinking about it only, but maybe some people have.

Default Re: Is v* an involuntary act?

I have a cousin who struggled with an eating disorder as a teenager. She apparently had to use her fingers in the beginning to cause herself to vomit but in time didn't have to as much. Her sister told me she caught her doing it once and she just stood by the toilet, kind of tucked her chin down and then vomited. I didn't see it myself so I can only take her word for it - but there is no reason for her to lie to me so I assume its true haha. This is a case of someone who was very experienced with vomiting though - things coming up were just about as common as those going down for her so I think her body could do it more easily. Most people probably couldn't do it unless they were extremely nauseated or thinking about something really gross (certain thoughts can make me physically gag but I don't fixate on them long enough to know if they could also make me vomit lol.)