Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy just joined! and also scared...

So I was on the bus this morning, and asked one of my best friends to sit next to me, like he usually does. Strangely, he shook his head no and sat a couple seats in front of me. I found this highly unusual for him, but shrugged it off and stared out the window, listening to my iPod.

When we were almost stopped at the school, I look over to check if he's okay...he wasn't. He was holding a plastic bag and was v*ing a bit. I nearly gagged, closed my eyes as I passed him to get off, and I still feel slightly sick just thinking about the event.

I recently read that the stomach virus is not airborne, but my stupid anxiety-induced mind won't stop thinking about it and I keep worrying if I breathed in any germs just by passing him.

I guess I just need some reassurance that I won't catch it. (It doesn't really help that my mom tells me hand sanitizer doesn't protect against stomach bugs, yet there's no bathrooms near the cafeteria to wash my hands at later when I eat lunch, so sanitizer is my only option.)

(I'm also glad the school computers will let me on this site. I'm in business tech right now.)

Default Re: just joined! and also scared...

That's a pretty scary thing for us emetophobics to see someone v* and get scared to catch something.

First of all, he doesn't necessarily have a virus. He maybe ate something that didn't agree with him ... And if he does have a virus, washing your hands is the best you can do to avoid catching it. I don't know if your mum is right but I think that hand sanitizer is a great alternative when you can't wash your hands with water and soap. I use hand sanitizer at work as well ...

I know exaclty how you feel when you say you can't stop thinking about it, but you have to (I know it's hard). Just think about something else, keep your mind busy. There's a chance he has a virus obviously but there's also a chance he hasn't not so relax, wash your hands and you'll be fine !

Travel sickness maybe??
    It happened ALOT in school haha and it was horrific! But I suppose it's sad for the Guy who wasn't well

Maybe text him and see if it persisted?
    If he says no then you're gonna be fine. You will be anyway as I doubt you smudged your fingers anywhere near him... I wonder why he didn't stay at home though? Hmmm

What I'm curious to know is...if the stomach flu isn't airborne, how do people get it? I always thought it was airborne...