Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Unhappy Reassurance please. :/

Firstly, I want to say that I'm quite sad that my boyfriend doesn't sound like he understands my emetophobia. I feel ashamed and pathetic talking to him about it.

Anyway, I'm going to see him on the 6th next month and apparently his whole family have been "ill" this month, including himself. He hasn't said what exactly what it was, but he said he had a headache earlier, felt achy, and felt hot. He mentioned no other symptoms but something tells me he's not telling me everything. :/ I don't really want to go on the 6th now, as I know that germs can live on surfaces for a long time (3 weeks, I think?) and I'm worried about catching whatever they've had. Of course my brain automatically assumes they all went down with the SV* as he said his sister was almost sick but wasn't.

Do you think it will be fine by then? Or should I keep my distance and leave it until the following week? He really wants to see me and doesn't seem to quite understand why I'm anxious. Also, he'll probably see me before Christmas and that's kind of scary because if his house *did* have the SV, then I doubt I'd want to hold hands with him, or kiss. I'm quite superstitious (stupid, I know) around this time of year because this was always the time I got SV*s when I was younger; right before Christmas.....

I don't want this stupid phobia to ruin my relationship, but I'm terrified..
    Virtue - "You don't need a reason to help people"

Default Re: Reassurance please. :/

I'm also superstitious about December (from past experiences it seems to be the worst for me). I don't know if any viruses will still be around on surfaces, maybe someone else can help you there.

It sounds like you need to have a calm, rational talk with your boyfriend and explain exactly how this fear affects your life and how it makes you feel. Tell him you know it's a stupid phobia but you can't help it and you'd appreciate some support. (By the way, I need to do exactly the same thing with my boyfriend, he really doesn't know the half of it!). No need to be embarrassed or ashamed.

Have you tried cognitive behavioural therapy?

Default Re: Reassurance please. :/

6th of Jan is quite a while away , even Christmas is a while away and even if they were properly sick you'd be fine, to be honest I think you'd even be OK if you were visiting tomorrow....

You have three weeks, you'll be perfect. Keep up the hygeine!