Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: the flu

so i have the flu. i've been sick since friday night. i thought that yesterday was the worst of it since i have a high fever all day and i was in bed all day. i was wrong. i felt just as bad today as i did yesterday. anyway, i'm really upset that i got sick. i do everything i can not to get sick. i constantly wash my hands. i avoid people who are sick and i drink lots and lots of fluids all the time and i still got sick. i've been sick for a few days now and i haven't v* but i am terrified that i am going to. my mom says that if i were going to v* i would have by now, but i'm not so sure. all i have been eating is soup for the last three days. my boyfriend bought me a can of chicken noodle from the store today, so i warmed it up and ate it. something made me look at the expiration date after i was done. it was 01/06. that freaked me out. i know that we are in 12/05, but to me that it cutting it way close. i've been in a panic ever since. it is bad enough that i have the flu and might v* now i have to worry about maybe being sick from a can of soup. my anxiety is really really bad right now. i'n scared that i might v*. i ate the soup at 11:00am and it is now 6:00p.m. i really don't feel hungry or anything. my stomach seems to be making some really strange noisesand it feelskind of funny.i'm just really really scared that i might v*. i don't know if i should eat anything. i'm just really really scared.[img]smileys/smilies_25.gif[/img]

do you have a stomach flu or just the flu eith sore thoart or cough and stuff

hey Missy-

Feel better! I know how you feel....I get sick more than I think anyone should- yet I wash my hands excessively, eat right, and arent around people who are sick. Sometimes, if you're gonna get it, you're gonna get it.

As for the expiry date on soup- on canned items they are always conservative estimates. The company doesn't want to be liable if someone gets sick off their product- so they put an earlier date than when the food would actually expire. And if it would have went bad- trust me, you would have noticed. My ex had a can of chicken soup that had expired a year beforehand- we opened 'er up out of curiosity- it took two days for the smell to disappear.

*amber*

PS- and keep eating! Continue with the soup and other bland food....with some food in your stomach, at least you will keep up your strength. It would be worse to feel more nauseous due to hunger!Edited by: crimgoddess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I hardly ever get sick in the winter *Knock on wood* for some reason I get sick in the spring, but that's usually sinuses and stuff. I know how you feel about "Cutting it close" with an expiration date. I worry about stuff like that too. But you need to continue eating and keep your strength up. I think your mom is right, if you were going to V* then you probably would have by now. I know that when I'm sick with ANYTHING my stomach always feels off...but you have to eat!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I agree w/ crim and brina

If you haven't v*ed by now, then at least you don't have the v* flu... (TG)...

but keep eatting.. (at least a little.. though you don't feel like it), and maybe get some gatorade or something in you.. GINGERALE...

feel better, and rest lots!
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

I definetly agree with everyone on this, you won't v*, it would have happened already, but don't worry about eating, you have no appetite probalbly because of the fever, I get that way with just a head cold. You'll eat when your hungry your body just isn't up to it for now. Hope you feel better soon, Take care.
    ~Sheri~

thanks so much for all the replies. i just don't know how to handle being sick (any kind of sick). i just get so freaked out about the whole thing. i ate some pizza. just two small pieces. i feel real yucky altogether. i hope that i'm a little better by tomorrow. but from what i hear this flu is lasting anywhere from 4 to 10 days, and i'm on daynumber 4. thanks again everyone.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Hi Missy. I agree with everyone else. If you had a s/v you would have definetly v* by now. I would not worry about that. I hate being sick to with anything but I would much rather have the regular flu instead of a s/v. Get plenty of rest and fluids. Hope you feel better tomorrow:O)
    Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus.- Colossians 3:17

awwww! feel better! eat lots of chicken soup, even if you can only do the broth ( thats my favorite part anyways), and get some sookin
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

Hey Missy, I hope you feel better soon!! Don't worry about v*ing, cause you will be fine!! (HUGS)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey Missy -

Feel better!!! The flu is horrible - I mean, it just wipes you out. But it's better than an SV!!!

I think your mom is right. I had the flu way back and I did V*, but on day one of the flu. It was not and SV type V*, it was from being so weak and coughing and it was awful. I was sick for 8 days, but I only V*'d one day and it was day one. You are fine from the soup as well. I am just like you, but I asked someone in the food distribution business about expiration dates and especially on meat type foods in cans and they told me that the dates are not for any reason other than to keep people from eating food that is years old. They also told me that canned meat, soups etc. can last for years past the date. Unless the can was dented or rusty, you are fine.

FEEL BETTER and get rest and fluids. I hope you can enjoy the weekend, so look forward to that.
    TRY to live each day like it were your last

thanks again everone! the support is awsome!!!! i felt better yesterday, but today i felt bad all over again. this flu is so horrible. i'm hearing that it's a long lasting flu. hopefully i'm better by the weekend so i can taste all the good food!

Aww hun, don't worry, you wont v*. I know how you feel with the flu thing.

Get better soon! <3

How are you today?
    TRY to live each day like it were your last

If you trip someone, you'll feel better. Laugh honey. Do something to make yourself laugh. Even if it's at someone else's expense. Seriously. Go trip someone (LMAO!!) God, I'm fiesty tonight!!!!!!!!! What has gotten into me?!!!

Love to all,

Jill ([email protected])
    Hey everyone, Check out the penguins to the left... Now imagine doing that to someone you can\'t stand! Hehehehee.... like an ex, mother in law, blah, blah... Just my 2 cents for the day! -Jill

Hi Missy! I hope you are better by now.

Just a couple of words on expiration dates. In most cases, they are just made up dates that don't mean anything. The only things to be very careful of are fresh meat and dairy products. In the case of things that are canned or processed, you really don't have to worry. Some (like crackers, cereal, etx.) might not taste perfect if they are past their expiration dates but there is little reason to believe they could hurt you.

This is kind of funny. The government made manufacturers start putting an expiration date on syrup of ipecac. People who study poison intervention wanted to know if the date really meant anything, so they asked people whom they instructed to use ipecac what the expiration date was and how long it took to "work." They found that the date made no difference in how long it took to do its thing (which it did in all but one patient), and that includes some syrup that was so old it didn't even have an expiration date.

Doug

LMAO!! So if Ipecac is past tye expiration date, I wouldn't use it. IT COULD MAKE YOU SICK. HEHEHEHEHEHEE God, I'm a freakin' riot (gumdropper is saying, 'Yeah, yer funny Jill {{{sa-laaaap!!!!}}}}} OWE!! hehehehe
    Hey everyone, Check out the penguins to the left... Now imagine doing that to someone you can\'t stand! Hehehehee.... like an ex, mother in law, blah, blah... Just my 2 cents for the day! -Jill

Yeah, apparently the flu really knocks you about, missy! I have been incredibly lucky in my life not to have had it, only bad colds, but I've seen my parents have it, and they have been bedridden for days. So, don't worry if it takes you a few weeks to recover - it really drains you, so just take it very slowly and easily while you recuperate.

Get well soon!

~Julie
    \"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars..\"

Just dropping by to say I hope you get better soon & sending you *hugs*

xVx