Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default The flu has hit :(

So I had a wonderful Christmas eve, I baked a pie from scratch, went and delivered gift bags to homeless people in my city, spent the evening cuddled up to my dog on the couch watching Christmas movies. Then this morning I woke up feeling like I was catching a cold. I popped a vitamin C and went about my day, trying to prepare food for later, etc. I had to go out and deliver a few more gift bags so I got everything ready and headed out the door and about 5 min down the road, all the sudden had overwhelming n**. I ran down a side street because I didn't want to be ill in front of anyone but luckily it passed. I immediately turned around and went back home to lie on the couch. I started to feel better and even started getting a bit hungry even though by this point I was achy all over, my head was pounding and I was feeling feverish. Then once again this evening the n** started up again and ever since I've been lying on the couch with a bucket next to me with a fever and feeling so sick I hate winter!

On a completely different note, since I'm feeling so ill and wanted to try and find out any other information about emetophobia, I wanted to ask if anyone has ever tried the "Get rid of emetophobia with Thrive" program by Rob Kelly. Obviously the website makes it seem very successful but I'm always sceptical of these things until I've talked to someone who isn't a brand ambassador etc.

Thanks!

Default Re: The flu has hit :(

How are you feeling now? I hope better!

I'm also cynical about Thrive. I have to admit though -I've seen a presentation by Rob Kelly on Youtube and he really seems to understand emet better than any therapist I've ever met. I might buy the book, if I do I'll let everybody know how I get on. I was sick 5 days ago so feel that the time is right to tackle it, I don't want the fear to get worse.

Hope you're feeling better.

I assume that all of these programs are scams, but unfortunately it just doesn't seem like there's any other option at the moment, so I should probably just bite the bullet and risk one of these myself. If you try Thrive please let us know how it goes for you and I hope you're feeling better

That book may help some people, but I brought up the idea with my therapist and she said she was skeptical because it had no official endorsements from anyone with a degree/credentials. I'm trying other therapies instead.

I bought it but never really tried it lol I hAve my doubt but anything is worth a try! What works for some might not for others

My CBT therapist really loved Rob Kelly and his book. So I bought it. I've found that the way he talks about our thinking towards V* really helps change my thought process. I still haven't finished it, I just go over each chapter again and again to really understand it all.
    I bought mine on Amazon to make it cheaper, you should totally give it a go and read it!

Oh wow, interesting to know that a therapist thought it was good. Was that an NHS therapist or private? Thanks for that.

Hey everyone, thanks for all your comments and I'm super sorry I never replied but for some reason I never received any notifications so just saw the replies now! So I'm currently on chapter 10 of 14 of the thrive book and I have to say as of now I'm pretty discouraged/disappointed. I studied psychology back in university so I get the concepts and understand the reasoning behind it all, but the part I struggle with is telling my brain to be positive about the whole thing and not completely take over and sabotage my recovery. I'm also a very busy person, and this book/therapy is almost a full time job. You are suppose to try and constantly be conscious of your thoughts throughout the day to learn to change them but when I'm at work and focuses on work, I don't realise when I'm thinking negatively and I almost forget to put the book into practice. This leaves me feeling bummed out when I get home at night and makes me want to give up on the book. It's just so frustrating. I wish I had all the money in the world and I could quit my job and focus 100% of my time and effort into kicking this dumb thing.

Hope everyone else is well and escaping all the winter germs!!

That's okay! Thinking positively is a habit and no one thinks positively 100% of the time, don't beat yourself up about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvrbchd View Post
    Hey everyone, thanks for all your comments and I'm super sorry I never replied but for some reason I never received any notifications so just saw the replies now! So I'm currently on chapter 10 of 14 of the thrive book and I have to say as of now I'm pretty discouraged/disappointed. I studied psychology back in university so I get the concepts and understand the reasoning behind it all, but the part I struggle with is telling my brain to be positive about the whole thing and not completely take over and sabotage my recovery. I'm also a very busy person, and this book/therapy is almost a full time job. You are suppose to try and constantly be conscious of your thoughts throughout the day to learn to change them but when I'm at work and focuses on work, I don't realise when I'm thinking negatively and I almost forget to put the book into practice. This leaves me feeling bummed out when I get home at night and makes me want to give up on the book. It's just so frustrating. I wish I had all the money in the world and I could quit my job and focus 100% of my time and effort into kicking this dumb thing.

Hope everyone else is well and escaping all the winter germs!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oops didn't see that reply! He was an NHS therapist

Thanks Cathy, I was just curious. It makes Thrive seem a bit more credible if an NHS therapist can see the benefit to Thrive.

mvrbchd -do you think the book is rubbish then or is it just that you're struggling to put it into practice?

The Thrive program requires work, but it's totally worth it. I am in the height of tax season, so I don't have a lot of time for the program right now, but even if I make time to read a paragraph, do an exercise, etc. That's a step forward. I HAVE made progress with Thrive, I am better, and now that I'm working with a wonderful Consultant, who was cured using Thrive, I am even more confident in this program. I went through it once already, and though i didn't put the effort in that I should, I still made changes and I am better. I hope you'll see success too.