Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Extremely triggered and I feel like I can't handle it.

I keep seeing that article about the 32 NV outbreaks in California. And what's worse is the comments. People saying "I wash my hands constantly and still got it." I'm freaking out. I live on the complete opposite side of the country but I feel like the California outbreaks are just an indication of how the rest of the country will be. I wash my hands all the time and never touch my face, and I haven't had NV since I was a child (13 years ago). Is their hygiene that bad? I just need someone to tell me I'll be protected if I keep being clean. Even if my roommates come down with it.

Default Re: Extremely triggered and I feel like I can't handle it.

Here's the thing - did those people use a public restroom, wash their hands, touch the bathroom door handle to leave and then eat? It's not just the washing your hands, it's keeping them clean until you eat/touch your face. If you are doing that (and you say you are), then you will be just fine, no matter how many people have it.

Your best defense is washing your hands. Second to that is helping boost your immune system by eating right, sleeping well and exercising. And reduce stress btw. That being said there is no way anyone can guarantee anything. :/

Hi, I saw this too and started worrying...but listen, first of all it's in CA and you and I are on the other side of the country. Secondly, 32 cases in all of CA is not that much, even though it's up from last year (my husband told me all of this to calm ME down too, haha). I am realizing that the news really loves to blow things up and make everything sound awful. And I was reading all the comments too, which freak the heck out of you...about how awful it was, hand washing, etc. But we all just need to do the best we can to stay healthy, and it sucks that there is no guarantee and it's kind of out of our control to an extent. But we can just do all we can...hang in there!!

I always wonder why people say there's no guarantee. Can anyone explain why? If you prepare all of your own food and never touch your face with unwashed hands, how else can you catch it?

Quote Originally Posted by gypsybird View Post
    I always wonder why people say there's no guarantee. Can anyone explain why? If you prepare all of your own food and never touch your face with unwashed hands, how else can you catch it?
    Because guaranteeing means you will never get it, that they can say with 100% certainty that you won't. And that's just not at all probable. Germs are all over and it's just a fact. That's not a bad thing actually as it helps build up your immune system - even if you don't get sick from the particular germ.

I suppose if you never left your home, grew your own vegetables/fruits and farmed your own animals...then maybe.

Remonds of that old saying - the only guarantees in life are death and taxes.