Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default What is your concern ?

Hi all. I would like to understand your/my emetophobia a bit more. My concern is of course the V* but, what about the actual illness that has you bed bound and the constant sick feeling that has you off your feet for days. I'm not sure if this is a whole new fear with me or it's part and parcel of the Emet.I have visions of myself laid up suffering.To me, it's more scarier than the V*.Does that part worry you like it does me ?

Default Re: What is your concern ?

Maybe I'm lucky but I always bounce back really quickly after v*. I was sick 4 days ago for the first time in 10 years. I felt rough for the rest of the day but not sick and I didn't stay in bed. Try not to worry, it's possible to make a very quick recovery after being sick.

The before feeling the sweaty hot shakey stomach wrenching feeling of needing to v* sends me into ultimate panic. Idk about actual v* because i haven't v* in about 10 years. (and I'm 18) so i don't have much experience. But thats what i can not stand.

It took me a long time to realize that vomiting was barely the concern. It's the nausea. The unknown of if and when it will happen. Just feeling unwell, being helpless, and not knowing if I was going to lose control of my body. If someone told me, "you're going to throw up. It will happen once and then you will feel better. Here's the countdown, 60 seconds on the clock..." I feel like I'd be pretty good with it. It's just the feeling lousy, not knowing if it will even happen, how many times, how frequently, etc that scared me. I'm 100% sure it's control related for me and I'm pretty confident that's the reason why, even though I've had success getting rid of my fear of myself vomiting, the threat of someone else doing it near me still freaks me out and causes panic attacks... Because I have 0 control over if they do it, where, when, etc. At least I have some control of myself.

For me I think it really is the v*ing itself, but the loss of control is a big part of it. As far as being unwell for days and days, that usually doesn't happen with v* type illnesses, although I have always had a bit of trouble bouncing back. That's really my problem though and a lot related to the fear. The part that's also my problem is that my stomach is iffy even when I am well, and getting an infection of any kind like a SV exacerbates those issues because of increased inflammation I presume.