Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default This is informative...

Found this on the CDC website...what do you all think?? Hope it works

http://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/reporti...stat/data.html

Default Re: This is informative...

Yes, I've heard from two doctors here on base that both Norovirus and the flu are extremely low in cases this year. They are expecting the 'spike' in Feb. but it's projected to be a low incidence year. I'll take it!!!! They all said that everything they've received from the CDC says that the 'outbreaks' have been less than 50% of that which occurred at this point last year. WOO! HOO! Beyond that, usually a mild year is followed by another mild year before it 'revs up' again. The past few years have been brutal so I am thrilled!

I have noticed the flu has been less this year than previous ones. I've only heard of a few people getting it. Last year, it was terrible!

Only saw about 2 people on my Facebook in November who got something like a bug (and they were both teachers, so I always assume teachers will catch more bugs anyway!)

Not even had a cold this year, although the weather has been really mild here in England (daffodils already blooming, it's THAT warm) Could explain the drop in SV's* and cold/flu.

I've been hearing that it has been spiking, and I saw on the "trending topics" on Facebook that norovirus outbreaks were on the rise in my state (California), however, one researcher suggested that it didn't necessarily mean there were more cases...just more outbreaks were actually being reported. Something like 36 separate outbreaks which means hundreds of people. I panicked for a minute, then realized that hundreds of people in a state with almost 40 million people...yeah...we're gonna be okay. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by deeendnamtoe View Post
    I've been hearing that it has been spiking, and I saw on the "trending topics" on Facebook that norovirus outbreaks were on the rise in my state (California), however, one researcher suggested that it didn't necessarily mean there were more cases...just more outbreaks were actually being reported. Something like 36 separate outbreaks which means hundreds of people. I panicked for a minute, then realized that hundreds of people in a state with almost 40 million people...yeah...we're gonna be okay. lol.
    And remember that there are 'spikes' in outbreaks year round! The summer has them on cruise ships, camps, summer schools, etc. so that really means nothing. The charts are so much more informative as it shows actual numbers in the general population. Just because there's an outbreak doesn't mean that it's a bad year for Norovirus sicknesses. 2015-2016 has already shown to be mild and looks like it's continuing in that trend. I have 3 friends who just got back from Disney World with their families, most go every year and most years someone in their family ends up sick with a tummy bug during their visit. This year they were healthy (not even a cold!!!) the entire 10 days! They all reported that nobody there was coughing and they didn't see a sick person during their entire stay - that's saying something!

I get the impression that the flu has fizzled this year. I think a lot of last year's problems were due to the vaccine being a poor match to the actual wild viruses circulating...it happens sometimes. Not sure about noro. I am a bit isolated (fortunately or unfortuantely) and I try really hard not to go looking for norovirus info but also to be aware if someone at work or in the family has it. I'm hoping for a vaccine soon which obviously won't solve our phobia but might give us a tool to fight back against norovirus.